Potty for Christmas?

My son just turned one earlier this month and I am thinking about getting him a potty for Christmas. What do you mommies think? I'm pretty sure he's too little to potty train right now. But, he has too many toys and plenty of clothes. Would that be a weird thing to get from Santa? Thanks!

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:19 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with CoreyLynn. Honestly he won't know the difference. We bought my son 2-3 toys last year, he played more with the boxes then he did with the actual toys. The potty is a good idea, just don't force potty training on him. Boys tend to train slower/later than girls. We had bought my son a potty at 15 months and just put it in the bathroom. Everytime my husband or I went, we'd take Jack with us. He's now 22 months and going pee pee in the potty. He just decided one day to take off his diaper say "potty" and ran for the bathroom. We've only had a handful of accidents since. We never pushed, just let him decide when he was ready. That's the key, because if you force it, it will only frustrate you! Good luck:)

Answer by Pregowithsecond at 1:10 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I think it's a great idea, I wish I had thought of it with my son! I bet he would have been much more likely to use a potty that came from Santa than me. But, if he just turned one he's not going to get much use out of it. Maybe next year?

Answer by Slinkee at 11:21 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• My son got his first potty for Christmas, however he was two when he got his. His birthday is late November, so we got it the month after he turned two.

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:26 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Mine is getting one for his 2nd birthday... only because he isn't ready to potty train yet.

Answer by gypsysmiles at 11:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Hes 1!!!! He'll be happy with the box!!! He willprobably LOVE unwrapping anything you give him so, yea!!! I think its a great idea!

Answer by CoreyLynn at 11:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I asked my MIL to get one for my daughter for Christmas. She ended up getting it for her second birthday, which is two days after Christmas. She also bought Pull-Ups (ugh!) and cloth training pants. Almost a year later she still isn't potty trained!

Answer by lovinmystar at 12:24 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• You have to decide if your child is ready. Im getting a potty for my daughter for xmas (she will be 1 in two weeks). I figure the least I can do is let her sit on it and read a potty book (ill get some to go with the potty). I think its a good idea.

Answer by newmommy1201 at 12:06 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Oo!! I didn't think about potty books! That would go good with the potty! =) Thanks for the great idea!

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:11 PM on Nov. 26, 2008