How much would you pay for a sitter?

My husband and I both have to work out of town this Saturday. So I asked a friend to watch my 2 1/2 yr old. She and her son (4yrs) will come over on Friday night, have dinner and sleep over. Hubby and I will be back on Saturday night. The sitter will have access to the computers, TV, phones, and the fridge.
She can even bring her dog if she is so inclines.
I'm not sure how long we will be gone- possibly until 8 or 10 pm. depending on traffic.
So how much would you pay? '
Does the time start when the child gets up or when we leave?
Normally for a few hours plus dinner she accepts $5 an hour

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 8:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Just for Fun

• For 12 hours Id give her $60. About 5 an hour sounds fair to me, But Im SURE im SOO wrong
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:30 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• It really depends on your area and your budget. I do childcare and have done a few overnights. I asked to be paid for the time the baby was awake, not my sleeping time. And my area, near DC, supports 10-15 dollars an hour. Don't know if this helps any or not.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I imagine it would vary a lot depending on your area, but overnights here are a different rate and not hourly. For overnights, I have generally paid between $75-100 which is the same amount I used to get for overnight babysitting but that's low compared to what some of my friends have paid. But $5/hr is on the low end for babysitting too.

Answer by missanc at 9:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Maybe ask her how much she wants to do it and then negotiate from there? It's funny when you think about it, many people pay more to have their car washed, lawn cut and house cleaned then they do to have someone watch their pride and joy.. I was a nanny when i was young and worked in a daycare and it's sad i made more making ice cream cones then i did being responsible for the lives of peoples children.
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 9:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Really? I don't pay people to wash my car or do my lawn/house so I wouldn't know.
    This isn't an overnight gig. She is staying here because it would be very disruptive to both kids to drive 35 minutes each way so I can leave by 6:30.
    So the going rate is now $10 an hour? How in the world do you earn enough to cover going to work?
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Mar. 23, 2011