Christians blamed for Prop 8?

Why do Christians get blamed for Prop 8 passing? Surely, not everyone is CA is Christian right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Actually, I thought the Mormon church and the African American voters in CA were the ones being blamed...
    Anonymous

• Everyone's looking for a scapegoat. It's silly to assume that Christians are to blame! I know people that aren't Christian that don't agree with the lifestyle.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:24 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• The majority of people in CA are Christians... so therefore it is easy to blame them.
    gypsysmiles

Answer by gypsysmiles at 11:29 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• I've heard a lot of blame of African Americans too, not so much just Christians.

However, from some of the recent posts about prop 8, people really 'focused' on Christians. I've read a lot that Christians scare and intimidate people, so I guess they are passive aggressively attacking them.
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 11:32 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• To the first anonymous.. Mormons are Christians.
    And to the post, I am just about sick of this Prop 8 crap. I know that because it is an issue of family and marriage it is bound to bring up VERY strong feelings. But, its hard to hear about it day in and day out. I am a Mormon, but I did not help make phone calls or do anything like that. I have many gay and lesbian friends... I personally do not believe in same-sex marriage, but I love my friends and support them because they are my friends. I have had friends stop speaking to me because I choose to remain a Mormon... and when I went to the temple a few weeks ago, I was spit on by a protester. Its sad....
    adoptivemommy24

Answer by adoptivemommy24 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• are you telling me that california is now considered a conservative state? (being 'majority of people in CA are christians', i'm assuming conservative and christian are synonymous?) being from the bible belt, we thought californians were liberal, free and easy...hmmph..things ya learn on CM.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2008

• Adoptivemommy24: Yeah, I know Mormons are Christians. My point was that I haven't heard or read that Christians in general have been blamed. I've only heard that the Mormon church specifically has been blamed since it supposedly bankrolled the campaign. How ridiculous that your friends actually expected you to leave your religion because of this! I'm sorry that happened to you. That sucks. And spitting on you when you went to temple? Inexcusable! Wow. I'm so sorry you had to endure that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• maybe because the mormom church spend soooooooooooo much money and time lying about the whole thing to scare people into passing it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• From what I can see on CM the majority of ppl against gay marriage quote the bible and say it goes against their beliefs. Now there may be some who are not of the Christian faith that do not believe in gay marriage but the majority of the response against it have been from Christians.  There are only a few larger cities in CA that are liberal but as for the rest of the state it is very conservative...conservative Christian.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:24 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• The majority of AMERICANS are Christians. California is not special in that regard.

And yes, unfortunately it tends to be extremist Christians who are most fond of taking rights away from minorities they disagree with, so they're getting blamed for Prop 8. Action, meet consequence.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Nov. 26, 2008