Teaching my son to read...

My 3 1/2 yr old son can recognize all of the letters. What is the next step in teaching him how to become an independent reader? Thank you.

bloomsr

Asked by bloomsr at 8:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• next you need to work on letter sounds
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• The best thing you can do to foster reading is to read to him often. It is the number one factor.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• The sounds the letters make. We have Leapfrog Fridge Phonics which is good for that and there is also a CD called "Sounds Like Fun" that does it as well, depending on how much time you think it might take to learn them. I'm assuming he knows upper and lowercase letters?

Answer by missanc at 8:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• He is just learning uppercase and lowercase. We read together a lot (4-10 books a day). He keeps asking to learn how to read so I'm hoping to be able to help him with that. Thanks for the advice.
    bloomsr

Comment by bloomsr (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• try this website for him it helped my DD a lot.....www.starfall.com
    it helps with letter sounds and reading and has fun games
    tomsjennabean

Answer by tomsjennabean at 1:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My son is just about the same age and I don't force reading on him but have come up with my own little way to teach him as he loves to learn, and it seems to be working. We work on letter sounds and things that are associated with them. I am working with him on the top 50 sight words-- instead of flashcards we do two a week and put them on the fridge and look for the words in the books we read. This week dog was one of the words so when we were at the grocery store we found the word dog on the dog food cans and donated one to the local shelter collection. We work on sounding them out, words that rhyme . He loves doing preschool workbooks with me with words and letters. I also make him pick one repetitive word from the book we are reading and make him shout it out so he follows along as I read. Last night we read Chuck the Truck, and truck was his word. He has fun with it and now knows what TR sounds like
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2011