[question 4 committed Christians] A married couple agree to celebacy.....

...... for the sake of 100% sure contraception. Is this unscriptural? Please explain or show me the scriptures if possible.
Thank you

quietmo

Asked by quietmo at 8:38 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• The Bible says not to deprive one another except for a period of prayer and fasting. That would mean that both spouses have agreed to abstain for that period of time. There is no stipulation as to the length of that period of time, so it would seem logical that if this couple has agreed to it for the long term, there would be nothing sinful in that.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• It all depends on what denomination you belong to, some believe it's fine, others believe that that is letting yourselves control it by not giving in to your natural desires. However most of these are denominations that actively advise people to have as many children as are humanly possible. So to be honest I would say that this is fine as people could always argue that the Lord gave them the strength to abstain.
    kayalouise

Answer by kayalouise at 9:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Not having sex will in NO WAY guarantee 100% chance of conception. It either happens or it doesn't.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:04 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• vbruno - You DO know how babies are made don't you? No sex = no baby last time I checked. The OP said conTRAception, not conception.
    KyliesMommy0407

Answer by KyliesMommy0407 at 11:02 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• NannyB is correct
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I agree with NannyB. If the couple have agreed to obstain then there is no sin in it.

Here is the scripture (with some key points highlighted)

I Corinthians 7:5 ~ Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

I think their key is that they have mutually agreed, I hope they are prayerful about it and have set a time to come together again. 

ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 11:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Well, they could do in-vitro. That would mean no sex but conception, pregnancy and hopeful a healthy child.
    So celibacy isn't 100% a preventative for conception. More like 99.99%.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 11:54 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• As long as it's consentual it's not sinful, but I think there's better methods of contraception. lol. I mean, why marry if you're not going to have sex? Sheesh. Haha. I know I know...contraception is obviously against their religion, I'm just making light of it. At least they're not making 15 babies, right? lol
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• LOL Girls RE-READ her post.... it says for SURE CONTRAception....not sure conception. They are abstaining to KEEP FROM getting pregnant.
    ShelbyShareAlot

Answer by ShelbyShareAlot at 12:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• In the Torah, it is a mitzvah (good deed) for a husband to help his wife to orgasm.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2011