Sinning against the Holy Spirit?

What is this EXACTLY? I can't work it out. I know it's the unforgiveable sin but could anyone give me an example. I'm lost on this one.

quietmo

Asked by quietmo at 8:40 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• The only unforgiveable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, and nobody knows for sure what that is. The Bible states that every other sin can be forgiven except this one. In my 64 years, I've heard many different opinions as to exactly what is meant by that, but the truth is that the Bible does not spell it out for us.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• The best I can do is link you to a page that explains it. Sorry

http://preacherstudy.com/blasph.html

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Saying the holy spirit is a git is worse than muder, child rape, and genocide.

Saying anything that denies the existance of, or the divinity of, or otherwise insults the holy spirit.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 11:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Denying the Holy Spirit... it is also denying that Jesus is the Son of God, denying that He is the way the truth and the life!

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit involves attributing the power of the Holy Spirit (such as authority to drive out demons and power to heal the sick) to Satan rather than to God. It involves a deliberate rejection of the Holy Spirit's witness to Christ and the gospel. In Mt.12, it was not "sinners" who were committing this sin, but the "spiritual" leaders of Israel. When talking about Jesus, the Pharisees said, "It is only by Beelzebub, the prince of demons, that this fellow drives out demon." It's actually sort of a process that leads to blasphemy. It starts by grieving the Spirit (Eph.4:30), then resisting the Spirit (Acts 7:51). Resisting the Spirit leads to putting out the Spirit's fire (1Th.5:19); putting out the Spirit's fire leads to hardening the heart (Heb.3:8-13); that leads to a depraved mind and to a labeling of good as evil and evil as good.(Isa.5:20; Ro.1:28). When this hardening of the heart reaches a certain..
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• fullness of development, determined only by God, the Spirit will no longer strive to lead that person to repentance.

Taken from footnotes of the Life in the Spirit Bible.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 11:50 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• To me, it's 5 words strewn together that have no objective validity.
    clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• There's a Christian hater down voting all the "Christian" answers here, lol. If you ask a question pertaining to Christianity, then why is it bad to get a Christian answer? Very mature, whoever you are!

To answer the question: I agree that it is denying the Holy spirit & denying Jesus!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 6:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• If you ask a question pertaining to Christianity, then why is it bad to get a Christian answer?

Because if it's not an honest answer, then it makes sense to vote down. 

clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 7:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• clarity a honest answer according to whom?
    Yes I know there is someone going to all the questions and downvoting AND I wouldn't be suprised if the person is bringing their friends too. :-)

The only responses that should be voted down are the nasty ones but then again we have the problem of what looks nasty to one is nothing to another. I just choose to upvote only!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2011