What do you think of the concept of 'walk-ins'?

Walk-in is an ancient concept first described in Hinduism whose modern name originated in the Spiritualist faith and was popularised by the related, but not identical New Age movements and beliefs. A walk-in is thought to be a person whose original soul has departed his or her body and been replaced with a new soul.

http://www.eidolonparanormal.net/walkins.htm

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:12 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Coming from a Hindu perspective that the body truly is just a shell and that our true selves are spirit, I can see where ancient civilizations could come up with the notion to explain mental disorders. I do not believe in the idea that a spirit or soul can be forced out of a body and exchanged with another. It really does just sound like multiple personality disorder to me.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:06 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• hmm...what about if someone had Dissociative identity disorder - and this is how they explained it?

just a thought
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:22 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Well I DO believe in the soul and I can honestly say that I think the people who think this happened are mentally unstable too. lol
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:50 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• sounds like possession to me of the demonic kind.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• hmmm...... multiple personality-'walk-in"- both seem to be two ways of explaining the same thing- Seems there is so much we don't know about the brain or the soul-either could be plausible depending on what you believe and experience-
    The unexplained is called the unexplained for a reason I guess-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 3:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I won't say it is or isn't true, I'm not one to tell someone what they believe in is wrong. I personally have never heard of it, I believe our soul can't disconnect from our body until death (or in the rare cases of astral projection). But thanks for pointing this phenomenon out, I'll have to do some research on it.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 9:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Multiple personality disorder. We are our brains, our brains create our consciousness, and when our brains die, we die... no "soul".
    mommy2myles

Answer by mommy2myles at 10:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• To me, this sounds like either a mental illness or even possibly possession. Just my own perspective.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 4:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Since I don't believe in the 'soul' I can honestly say I think people who feel this has happened are mentally unstable.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 9:17 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Like a changing of the guards, more or less? Can the new soul be bad...causing one to be thought of as possessed?
    Hmmm.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:38 AM on Mar. 23, 2011