Are there adequate programs for autistic children in your area?

Alexias30

Asked by Alexias30 at 9:24 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes in our area we have very good quality programs. People actually move to our school district just for the special programs.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:29 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yes. We have a couple of private schools, the parks and rec department has a lot of programs for spectrum kids, and I've been very happy with the public schools. My son is in an incredible class that mainstreams him when possible. The waiting list for CAP (one on one worker provided by the county and non income approved Medicaid) was long, but now that we have it, it's a huge help!

Answer by missanc at 9:29 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No, unfortunately in order to get my son the help he needs I have to drive over an hour away...which means he gets what our school can offer him through the school year...
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• We have an entire school dedicated to servicing children with special needs, and they are VERY good at what they do. In addition to very small class sizes (typically 8 students to 2 staff), they have on site therapists and nurses and offer respite care. It is tuition free and available to those who need the services within our county from ages 4 to 26. In addition, they have an excellent school that transitions behavioral students from incarceration or poor family situations (often after being removed from their home and placed in foster care or adoptive services) back into a traditional school.

I am a special ed teacher (off with a sick child today...boo), and I work frequently with the staff of these buildings, and they are the best of the best. My grandfather was the superintendent of our district for a long time, but until he passed last year, I did not know he was the man who started both programs, and I am so proud!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yes I think so. I went from NC where I didn't have a lot of support or a good school to MN where I have my son in one of the best schools for the state and more programs. They don't give me a hard time when I ask for so mething. I don't ask for much. THEY ARE DOING IT HERE NOW! Like his water intake because he is on a high fiber diet and a journal so teachers and I can talk about his day and stuff. Scheduled potty breaks. He is now potty trained and teachers that don't yello at him or bruise my child. I love it here. The weather is something else tho.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 12:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2011