Is it now the "LAW" or just "recommended" ??? (new carseat "recommendations") Is it the parents choice? Or do you HAVE to rear face until 2?

can you get a ticket or something if you don't rear face until 2? for the record, I do ERF. My son will be rf as long as possible - and this decision has been made since day one. I am SOOOO happy they changed the recommendation - my question is if it is the law???

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• NOT the law
    just recommended
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Not as of yet... I asked this question a few hours ago, and everyone said it's just a recommendation for now.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• here in the uk you only rear face till 9 months
    feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 9:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Honestly, I can't even imagine having had my twin boys RFing up to age 2. By 18 mos, their long little legs would have made them highly uncomfortable. What do they do...prop them up an the back seat? Not sure how I managed to reach my ripe old age of 51. I was raised in a time when car seats for kids hadn't even been dreamed up yet. Heck, we did'nt even have seatbelts! I had to have seatbelts installed in my car when I had my 1st DD & the first car seat came out on the market.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 9:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• It is the new recommendation. The laws are still state to state.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:54 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Just a recommendation. Each state has it's own laws. My state: Read facing until 1 year OR 20 pounds. Then in a car seat until they turn 6.

SouthernMama08

Answer by SouthernMama08 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• what state? to my knowledge ALL states are 20 lbs AND a year, not or.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Wow. I can't believe someone voted me down for saying how it was when I was little and when my kids were little. We didn't have a choice. That's just how it was for us. Actual carseat laws didn't come into affect until 1977, when my 1st DD was born. Up to that point, we didn't have carseats by the 100s to choose from. We worked with what we had. I never said I was against carseats. I simply stated that if my twin boys had to RF to the age of 2, they would have been extrememly uncomfortable. This is where body length requirements need to come into play. Not simply an age.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2011