Making decisions

My son had a chance to join orchestra at his school he picked the cello to play. He's been going the whole school year,but its been hell making him practice he says he's first chair in orchestra. Now I can't get him to wake up in the mornings to go he refuses. The orchestra teacher really needs him their because she will have only two cello players if he leaves,I'm thinking about just returning the cello and telling the teacher that he doesnt want to play.
Now heres the kicker. He is signed up for band for 7th grade,it was that or half a semester of art which means he will have to take half a semester in choir and he doesnt want to do that either. He wants to take band,I'm just concerned that he wont like it and that he will find many excuses to not practice. So my husband says he cant take band and he has to take art. My son is adamant that he wants to take band. Should I force him to finish up orchestra even though he is a pain the ass to get out of bed and he says he doesnt want to go?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would absolutly make him finish what he started. When you sign up for a team (or the orchestra), you stay with the team until the "season" ends. Winners never quit and quitters never win. G'luck!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• If my girls didn't get up when called the second time, they got cold water dripped on them til they did get up. Maybe your son just doesn't want to play cello. There may be another instrument he can play better. Have him try out several instruments. But, he needs to learn to finish what he starts. Make a deal with him. If he finishes this year of orchestra and doesn't want to continue with the cello, he can join band. If he doesn't finish the year, no band. Dont let him be a quitter.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 10:03 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Make him finish. If he isn't made to finish is commitments it maybe become an issue later.if he doesn't want to do it after this year I wouldn't make him btu make him finish what he does choose. At least he will learn to pick wisely and commit to what he does pick.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would sit him down and talk to him about his choices. Let him know that he picked the cello not you or your husband. Explain to him that if he lets the orchestra down now, that could hurt him in the future in band. Teachers do talk about student performance amongst each other when deciding on who gets picked for what. And that if he chooses to not do what he committed himself to this year, then next year it will be art instead of band. If he continues to not want to practice, I would just flat out tell him that no band next year! Better start planning on art class instead.
    kdunker

Answer by kdunker at 10:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• YOU are the parent. Make him finish what he has started. What is he learning if you allow him to quit? That it's ok to bale on people when they need you?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:44 AM on Mar. 23, 2011