Would you be leary?

What if your 12-14 yo dd told you her girl friends (and their boyfriends) are talking about going to a movie as a group. It would be 8 of them. Would you let your dd or son go? I'm thinking of sitting in a disquise in the movie so I can keep and I on them. It really HAS Crossed my mind (in and out again). lol What are your views?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would let them go. I know it would be hard and I would probably be thinking of doing the samething. I guess you have to trust them at some point.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• If its just to a movie i would be ok with it, are you driving them and picking them up?
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I'm not so trusting,, I was 12 once and remember oh too well..lol I'd go and sit far from them..lol but really in a group as long as they were dropped off and picked up in 2 hours or so, i guess it could be ok? Only you know your child and their friends, i say go with your gut!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would let them go. Every child needs the benefit of the doubt that they will make the right choices. Also, having an open communication with your child about sex, drinking, smoking and etc, will let them know about the consequences that follow poor decision making. I wouldn't go hide at the movies, because if by chance you are spotted by her or a friend, she won't trust you anymore. And keeping the trust of a teen is very important these days.
    kdunker

Answer by kdunker at 10:20 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I don't see a problem with it....as long as a parent goes...My 13 yr old would be allowed to go to a movie with friends as long as I could trust the parent they were going with....running around the mall by himself...yea probably not...but movies sure...every time I've went here lately (and we go on a weekly basis) the ushers patrol the theaters a lot.....and why hide, if your child wants to go, then she can tell her friends, hey I'll meet you there but my mom is going to, promise she wont' be in the way, she'll sit in the back, and I'll meet her outside....you don't have to stand in line with her or them.........OR you can drop her off, go in buy the ticket, then go hang out at the mall until the movie is over....then you don't have to worry about what goes on...seriously have you ever tried to do something you weren't supposed to in a theater....it's not like when we were young lol (thankfully).
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would be leery too.
    My daughter is going through this with her 13 year old twin girls---she let them go to a movie with 2 friends and worried , the other parents were also "leery" and keep an eye on their daughters so it was fine. I think if you trust your kids and their friends (and know the parents of the friends) it will be okay.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You have to let them go. It is normal for them to go. I also had a hard time with it. But you have to trust them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:38 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I'd let them go but have a dependable parent take them and pick them up in a few hours.
    Wouldn't hurt to know enough about the movie to ask questions about the plot, etc. Just to make sure they stayed where they were suppose to without appearing distrusting.
    OmaGirl

Answer by OmaGirl at 10:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I'd let them go, when I was younger we used to go in a group of six. Than later hang out , grab a burger and wait for our parents to pick us up. Besides you have to have alil faith and trust in your dd or son. And you can always as later about the movie, that will tell you that they actually went.
    LdawgsGurl

Answer by LdawgsGurl at 10:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would let them go but only if a parent was present. I like the idea of group activities but at 12 I'm still leary of letting my son go alone with a group - not because I don't trust him but I don't necessarily trust all the kids or other people. Sometimes kids do stupid things, especially when in a group initiates and adults aren't around and I don't want to find out they were being disruptive or rude in the movie theater. After a few times of supervision I might be more inclined to allow without.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2011