Would you step out of your vehicle and smoke a cigarette in a tobacco free school zone?

I have seen a couple parents sit under the shade trees at the school and smoke while waiting for their kids. It is a tobacco free zone. I find it very disrespectful and feel they are not setting a good example.

tiddliwinks

Asked by tiddliwinks at 10:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in

• I am not suicidal - I don't smoke

Answer by rkoloms at 5:34 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• They are lucky they haven't received a ticket yet. They will if they continue. It's almost as bad as getting caught smoking on a plane.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 10:22 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I totally agree with you! I even think that smoking on school property even if it's in your vehicle is not right either.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I agree and no I would not, I don't even smoke in my car while waiting to pick my daughter up
    buttonlts

Answer by buttonlts at 10:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Nope I wouldn't. That could get you a ticket couldn't it? They SHOULD get a ticket for it. And Im a smoker!! Rules are rules and laws are laws.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I don't smoke- so no it is not anything I would do. I have heard that people who do smoke on school property can get in trouble for it.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:24 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would call the cops. Tobacco smokes gives me asthma attacks so I wouldn't confront them.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I wouldn't.
    I have a gripe against so many arrogant parents at schools and in particular,at the middle school where my granddaughters go---they make their own rules about that and so many other things. For example, they park along the "Bus Loading only" zone in their big old trucks and SUV's, even though the sign is huge ....they KNOW they are not suppised to be there but they are waiting to pick up their darling children....wouldn't want to make them walk to the parking lot now, would they? Grrrr.
    Smoking in a smoke-free area is so much worse though and they need to be informed of their mistake!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:26 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would not but some parents do....

If they don't follow the rules they need to be called out by the authority... It is silly but it is ignorant if they know they are not suppose to smoke there then, they should not be.

Next time either speak up or have the school lay down the law, it is their law and if they don't abide by the rules and someone is not going to be sure even the parents follow them, then why make up the rules to begin with? Good luck!!!!
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I agree! Like they can't wait to smoke a cigarette. Definitely a bad example. All our schools are smoke free zones. When I take my son to the middle school for band practice their are a bunch of teachers/administrators smoking across the street!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 10:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2011