What should I expect of my almost 3yr old dd developmentally and educationally?

She knows how to count to 17, her alphabet, how to spell her name, her colors and shapes. She tells me when to go at a traffic light, haha and she speaks very well. My ds and dd are almost 8 yrs apart and I really am having a hard time remembering what he was doing at her age.

Pinkclover2

Asked by Pinkclover2 at 10:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I used to work at a preschool, it sounds like she is on point.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• She is on track if not ahead of things. Just keep doing what your doing, I'd work on her tracing her name, holding a pencil, etc.. counting items out one by one like cheerios or noodles, hoping on on foot then the other, counting backwards from 10. Not all at once obviously, but these are things kids are tested on in school to see where they are developmentally. When you read to her ask her questions about the book when you are done, show her pictures of things and ask what happens first 2nd 3rd etc,, like putting wash in, folding it, putting it away etc...Hope this helps. Keep up the good work!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 10:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Here is a link to a child development tracker. Its n NOT set in stone. Some kids are more advanced than other, some are less advanced.

http://www.pbs.org/parents/childdevelopmenttracker/three/index.html

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would say your dd is advanced for her age. my DD is 4 and she can't write her name yet. She can do the other stuff you mentioned but is just know learning how to write her name in pre k.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 10:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• @JenzAmomOf2- Her favorite thing to do is draw and she is really very creative with her art, lol. She draws all types of animals. She is absolutely amazed with birds. She does count items one by one and can count backwards from 10. She even counts in english and spanish, lol. She has also mastered hopping on one foot and then the other. I don't remember my son being able to do all these things at her age but like I mentioned before, there is a big age difference. Thanks ladies for all your help :)
    Pinkclover2

Comment by Pinkclover2 (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• She sounds like she is doing super,, if she loves learning, keep going with it, and make it fun. Kids are learning more and more today at earlier ages. My son is 5 and in kindergarten, his teacher says their word list use to be used for end of 1st grade, now its being done in kindergarten because they are learning faster! He knows 100 words and isn't done kindergarten yet. It's great! You say she likes animals etc.. try getting subscribed to kids national geographic, its really cute and informative, my son loves them!
    JenzAmomOf2

Answer by JenzAmomOf2 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Thanks for taking time out of your day to answer my question ladies. I really appreciate your help :)
    Pinkclover2

Comment by Pinkclover2 (original poster) at 11:18 AM on Mar. 23, 2011