How would you handle this situation?

OK here is the deal my sister lives in Detroit but she comes to Grand Rapids every 6 weeks or so to get her hair and nails done. While she is here she normally stays at my house. When she takes a shower while here my 4 year old wants to get in the shower with her. I have told him time and time again that the only people he is to take showers with are his dad or I. What would you do or say?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 10:44 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sounds like you did the right thing, by telling him no.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Sounds like you answered right to me.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:46 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• tell him No.
    Seems simple enough.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:46 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Stop showering with the kid already. Hes old enough to see the difference in peoples body's and ask lots of questions. Or get the wrong idea.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:46 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Tell your sister to lock the bathroom door when she goes in.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:47 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would tell him that the rule of the house is "you can only shower with mom or dad". If he asks why he can't with Aunt maybe you could say that grown-ups like to have privacy and shower by themselves.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You tell him no.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 10:51 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would just tell him flat out no. But then at age 4, I believe he is too old to take a shower with any adult. My son will be 4 in June, and he already knows the difference in our body parts.
    kdunker

Answer by kdunker at 10:52 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• While it's good that mom and dad show no embarrassment of their bodies, it's probably time that he learn to shower by himself. You can adjust the water for him, wait while he washes, and hand him his towel. I quit showering with my grandson when he was 3, and that wasn't on a regular basis. He took baths most of the time. I was with him for bath until about 4. Then I just listened and had the door open a crack so that I could see that he was ok after that.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 10:54 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Just tell him no.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:48 AM on Mar. 23, 2011