People living in the colder states--What do you do during a power outage?

and what if your out for several days---and don't have a fireplace or anything like that--we don't have a generator nor the money to buy one

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Generators help with that. I also have a wood fireplace and collect toins of wood. Lots of wool blankets and wool socks.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:55 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• We have a generator that will run the furnace, fridge, and a few lights as needed.

It has a tank that will run 10 hours before refueling.

The generator cost around $700
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Oh Gosh! will keep hugging DH & not leave... :-)
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 10:55 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• We have a generator, lots of blankets and winter clothes to keep us warm.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I guess Id be finding a warming center or the shelter that would be open due to the several days power outrage. You cant stay in your home and freeze now can you?
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:00 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I lived in MN for almost 20 yrs. Total outages were very rare. But, in the rare event that it happened, we'd bring out the oil lamps & blankets. We didn't have a generator. But, then, we never had the occasion to need one. Any outage never lasted more than a few hours. My stove was gas, so no worries about cooking. Didn't worry about the fridge either. We could always set stuff out in the garage if the house wasn't cool enough.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:01 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• we aren't out of power but we do get knocked out at times; I was just wondering what others do in this situation
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Invest in a kerosene heater. They smell and arent the best but you will have heat. I also have a wood stove, again works well when the power is out.

Answer by gemgem at 11:06 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• We were out last year for 5 days, we keep kerosene heaters running. One upstairs in the hall & shut off the kids rooms and bathroom keep our bedroom door open and we all camp out. We keep one downstairs to keep the chill off. When stuff started thawing int he freezer we moved it to coolers outside & it was fine.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 11:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Karoseen heater is what my dad uses.
    DH and I aren't prepared for that kind of thing, but if it did happen we'd drive down to my parent's house.
    If that wasn't a possibility we'd go out and invest in a Karoseen heater as well.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:08 AM on Mar. 23, 2011