Has anyone used the E-Cig to stop or cut back smoking?

my dad is in his 60s and has been smoking since he was a teen. he's had a heart-attack which resulted in a quadruple bypass, that was back in 2004 and now he still is a pack to 2 pack a day smoker! he also eats a lot of fatty foods so im sure his cholesterol level is through the roof. anyhow, i've noticed lately he is smoking a lot less. he also bought himself an ecig and says its helping him to cut back on smoking real cigarettes. i guess there are benefits to the ecig as it is just pure nicotine without all the added chemicals. and apparently they come in different strengths of nicotine or completely nicotine free, just to give a heavy smoker the "feeling" that they're smoking. kind of like a placebo cigarette i guess.

anyway i myself have been a smoker for 8-9 years. i dont smoke as much as he does but i want to quit and everytime i get stressed (which is daily around here) i become weak and need my smokes. about a month ago i was doing great and quit for a week, and again the stress got to me. im thinking of investing in one of these e-cigs and seeing how it goes. in your experience is it worth the money? has it helped you quit or atleast cut back? TIA

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Health

• bump

AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:00 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My husband was using one for a while. He smoked it more than real cigs, because it was socially acceptable. He never smokes at home or on his days off. When he used the e cig, he smoked everywhere everyday. I don't think they help you quit, but are much less stinky and cannot harm others.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:02 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• SO and I use them. We use them less since we don't feel the need to 'finish' a full cigarette. Also, there is only one thing in them, nicotine and not the 4000 other carcinogens so they are as safe as drinking caffiene.

We have weaned from 24mg to 12 mg and just keep going down. Soon we will order juice with 0mg of nicotine and then we will have to work on the hand to mouth aspect of it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 23, 2011