Fibro, thyroid symptoms. Anyone dealt with this?

For a few weeks I have had this pain creepng up on me, and this week it has been horrible. Deep aching pain in my arms, neck, shoulders and back. It making its way into my lower back and now I think I am beginning to feel it in my butt and thighs. Is there all day, bu the bed pain comes in waves, so much so I just want to cry and my body gets washed with fatigue. Last night at work I couldnt do the simple task of ringing somone up, somehing I have been doing for years. My riss and ankles have been sore on and off since yesterday. I wake up very stiff.

I had a baby 3 months ago, my third boy. Had a great birth, all natural, no complications.

I am 32, in good shape, eat healthy, and have always lead a fairly active life, so I dont feel like anything I am doing lately is extra strain on me. No current injuries or illnesses. I also have seen my chiro and had an adjustment, trying to rule out a pinched nerve.

Any one have any ideas? I am waiting for blood work results.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Health

• Your riss?
    I don't know....I would ask your Doctor.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:09 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Wrists...i'm sure is what you meant...right? Ask your doctor and make sure to mention you think it could be fibromyalgia or they won't check for it. They can do a full Thyroid screen, but that typically won't show Fibro...that's a hard thing to diagnose...you might want to ask for Cymbalta...to help with that...if it does appear that you are suffering from that.
    TeenerBeener75

Answer by TeenerBeener75 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I have fibromyalgia, some of the symptoms you described can definitely be attributed to it.

DO NOT TAKE CYMBALTA.

I was prescribed Cymbalta for nerve pain, the side affects are horrid... before even THINKING about it, you need to google the hell out of it. Detoxing from it takes weeks, and even months and leaves you neurologically screwed, sometime permanently. It is NEVER worth taking this med. It needs to come off of the market.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:22 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• wrists.. yes sorry I have a messed up keyboard.
    Anyways, yes,.... I DID ask my doctor, hence bloodwork. Im just anxious and wondering if other women have been through what I am going through... im not looking for a diagnosis on cafemom...lol.

I do not plan on taking any medications if ican avoid it. If this is anything like fibro or thyroid, my plan of action would be holistic mehods first.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I have fibro. There are several pressure points in the body, that when genly press upon, result in a strong, painful response. Was on Cymbalta for a few weeks. All I could think of was wanting to put my hand, head, arm, through my sliding glass door. Or breaking mirrors as I passed them. Forget going to the mall..... Came off of it with out a problem because my pain manament team put me on Neurontin. Works great! pain level is down at least 80% every day. It makes you incredibly suicidal &/or self harming, esp in the first few weeks. DONOT TAKE CYMBALTA!!! IT MIGHT VERY WELL KILL YOU!! NOT LIKELY THROID RELATED. HOWEVER, I HAVE A SLOW THYROID AND AM ON LOVOTHROXINE DAILY FOR THE PAST 20 YEARS. Good luck at the doc's and do metion the pressure point pain..
    PurpleJR

Answer by PurpleJR at 7:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Also don't take Lyrica! I had a doctor give me a sample so I could try it before spending any money and made me Promise not to take it unless hubby would be home the whole time ...take at night and make sure he didn't have to work the next day. I took it on a friday night and found out why on saturday morning...it made me loopy all day.I mean bad I couldn't sit on the bed without falling asleep,couldn't keep my eyes open even though awake...I do all the errands on saturday and the kids had 4H ...hubby had to drive because I wasn't safe...it was bad. Worse I called the number to report the problems I had like it said to do and they didn't believe me ... : ( It really scared me...i'll stick to motrin,tylenol etc...
    cjsix

Answer by cjsix at 9:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• hi my name is sharon from Greenville NC,you need to ask the Doc to check you for fibromyalgia it is a very painfull chronic pain illness.there is meds that some peope can take depending on yu r healthyue lfe is about to soow itsrlf down to a crawl. if you ever need ssuport i will help you in anywsy possibe. call me at 252-752-5751 or cowardsharon6@aol.com
    ladyhawkj6

Answer by ladyhawkj6 at 10:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I have both fibromyalgia (about 15 years or so) and a thyroid (almost all my adult life) condition. Both have similar aches and pains. However, fibromyalgia can be dibilitating and extremely painful. I was originally placed on Lyrica, but I did not like the side affects. I have since found out from a medical source that there are more problems, such as addition, to this medication. I was then prescribed Cymbalta. It is an antidepressant, but it helps with the aches and pains. Since Cymbalta is a time-released capsule, the one side affect I have experienced is extreme fatigue at various times during the day which makes me want to nap. Sometimes these urges can be overcome by some physical activity or going outdoors for fresh air, if you can find it. As for my thyroid, I've been taking Synthroid and it works very well. I've stopped losing my hair and my skin is not so dry. Try not to skip a day. Good Luck.
    Chiqui52

Answer by Chiqui52 at 10:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I have had what I thought was Fibro for years, then I had an episode where I had a respiratory infection, aches all over my body, a fever(most likely due to the upper respiratory)plus the psoriasis that I have on one elbow flared up really bad. The doctor ordered blood work and it was positive for RA. The respiratory infection I don't think was related to the RA symptoms but made it flare up. The most scary thing for me has been not the pain-which is sometimes extreme-but the stiffness in my legs. Most of the time my legs are fine but sometimes I get bad stiffness and cramps in them. Rain and hormone fluctuations cause flare-ups.I made an appt with a rheumy and likely get more bloodwork done, ruling out other possibilities. Best bet is make an appt. with a rheumy where they can pinpoint exactly what it is. It may be fibro or something else. Even if it is something more, like arthritis, it is treatable.
    tiger123

Answer by tiger123 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I was diagnosed with Fibro many years ago as a result from an accident at work. I had went through all the meds and the one that worked to kill my back spasms they removed from the shelf. I dealt with multiple spasms a day especially when there were major weather changes. With the spasms I had every symptom of a heart attack. The doctors said I would never know if I was actually having a heart attack due to the severity of my spasms. Two years ago I tried a natural shake with over 70 different ingredients. I have this shake everyday for breakfast. Since then I have a handful of spasms a year that are not severe like before. I have not been on prescription meds for 2 years and my ulcers are gone from all the meds I used to take. I totally recommend the shake but excercise does help, even 20 minutes of walking or going for a swim will help joint pain too.
    csanderson1

Answer by csanderson1 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 24, 2011