How can i cope with the pain of healing a 3rd degree tear?

when i had my son (6 days ago) i ended up with a 3 1/4 degree tear, which means i have lots of stitches and im still pretty swollen down there. the docs told me to alternate tylenol and ibuprofin and use ice packs, which i have been. i didnt want to take any strong painkillers, but there are times the pain is so bad i dont know what to do, i just want to cry.
are there any secret healing remedies out there i dont know about? something i can add to bathwater? teas? ointments? it does get a little bit better everyday, but i can barely s and it or walk. luckily i have a very involved partner who loves being a daddy and doing all this new baby stuff. but id like to be more active.
any suggestions?

imspikesmom

Asked by imspikesmom at 11:03 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Health

• I think everyone is different, I had 3rd degree tearing and I didn't find it that painful, I never filled my rx for the pain pills.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• WHY did you tear? I had an episiotomy with each delivery and I didn't have to go through any tearing. I had a few stitiches after and it was really easy, healed quickly. I am amazed that your Doctor LET you tear!!! WOw.
    Good luck. It will get better!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• i found squirting water on it when i went to the bathroom very soothing. im sure you're doing that anyway since you can't wipe yet, but try that. also sitz baths
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Hey please take it easy. One thing you can do is rest, rest, & rest......
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:08 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Wow i am feeling for you. I remember being really sore and I didnt have tearing. I dont know what to tell you to heal but just know it will be over soon. Just keep telling yourself you will feel better soon!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My doctor actually cut me, before I tore, and I found the best relief from a sitz bath. The hospital gave me a squirt bottle that you fill with cool water, it felt so good. Have you tried that?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:10 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• tearing happens sometimes it can't be avoided. i tore my entire perineum with my first and only vaginal delivery. my daughter was only 6.9 pounds. im actually kinda thankful i wound up with an unplanned c-section for my 2nd 10 pound daughter.. LOL. i had stitches and everything. it was more a feeling of discomfort than pain though.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would suggest a sitz bath and also if your LO has a boppy sit on that!! I used that after my first DD was born ( I had a 4th degree episitiomy) and it was really a life saver!! I used it more than her!!
    Cassidysmom611

Answer by Cassidysmom611 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I'm surprised the hospital didn't give you a can of Dermoplast. It's a spray and it worked the best for me. I think you can buy it OTC, but I'm not sure if it's the same strength as the one from the hospital. Also, sitz baths may help, if allowed by your doctor.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 23, 2011