Landlord is a jerk!!! What can I do about this? Please help!!!

Hi. I have a friend who rents his own apartment and the landlord is a slumlord. He doesn't take care of his apartment building and many times has he been called upon to fix something either by my friend or his neighbor and the landlord does nothing. He always tells them he will come out to fix things and he never does. My friend has lost his job and is stuggling to pay his rent and the landlord was ok with my friend making payments because he has always paid his whole entire amount of rent on time all the time. My friend is now a little behind on his rent due to the fact that the landlord increased his rent. I found out that when my friend wasn't home yesterday he came home to the lock on his apartment door broken and a note from the landlord. My friend says that the landlord must have kicked the door in. Thats what it looked like to my friend. The note said that the landlord will fix the lock tomorrow and the landlord just wanted to see if my friend still exsisted. My friend says that is crap. The landlord knows Im still here. Can a landlord break a door open like that and go into his apartment? Please give me some advice here for my friend. Thank you!!!!

rjeepgurl

Asked by rjeepgurl at 11:07 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• No he cant. Your friend has to send the landlord a registered letter asking him to give notice before entering his apartment. The landlord has to go through proper legal chanels in order to gain entry into an apartment even if he suspects the person is no longer there. If the landlord suspects a person is dead then he can call the law.

Answer by gemgem at 11:14 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• File a police report.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:37 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• File a police report AND go to Code Enforcement. Unfixed items can be hazards. We have a complex near here that caught fire a few weeks ago; the tenants say they'd complained to the management about problems that were never fixed. The city found dozens of code violations.

26 units were burned. Fortunately no one died.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2011