Ok I know I'm gonna catch it for asking but whats so bad about not liking BreastFeeding? Does that cause less confusion lol?

Seriously I'm not trying to start a fight but it honestly confuses me why people get so heated about it? I know the whole health benefit thing ,but it just seems a little over rated if you only read the one's done in the US and exclude one's from Africa where diarrhea is a problem for everyone.

But really what's the issue with us all just deciding you don't like it, or even that you do like it and then just letting people go with it instead of using terms like disgusting or selfish(I think we've all seen them tossed around on both sides)? Really I know I'm gonna get an earfull because I know many people feel strongly about this but I guess I want more of the human side. I also know that many of you are ambivalent on the matter feel free to comment too I guess.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 11:20 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Are we asking about Anal Sex here?
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 11:23 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. For the record I've never said I didn't like breast feeding...it just didn't work for me.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:25 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I didnt think I would "like" it either, my mom didnt bf me or my brother, so I had nobody to ask for help. But, I knew it was better for the baby(natural) that some man made chemical-hope its ok- type formula. I wanted the best start, for my baby, so I got over my fear and just did it. I bf for 22 months, my kids are rarly EVER sick. So, no that part isnt just "over rated"
    Alot of the formula fed babies I know of right now, I am always hearing how they are sick....again....but that isnt the case for all I know but you cant argue with the fact that bf is the best, over formula. I think most people know that.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• lol dancinintherain. I'll assume you're referring to breast feeding lizzie...I tried so hard to breast feed my son, it just didn't work for us. Now my DD 2 1/2 months is nursing pretty well, we're getting there. I don't think there's anything wrong with not liking it. I was young when I had my son and up until the second he was born I thought BF was perverted lol There are benefits to both, you just do what works for you and your baby. My mother formula fed me and my three sisters and I'd like to think we're perfect lol
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I wouldn't go so far as to call the health benefits 'over rated' but it is a personal choice. If you have tried it and didn't like it or it didn't work out, fine. At least you tried it. You made a huge effort and that in it's self is a good thing. Many babies have grown up just fine on formula but YES breast milk is the better option when it is doable.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:28 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I am happy as long as the baby is being fed whether it be formula or breast milk.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:31 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• LOL....I think it would be better if you say "Breast feeding", not BFing. I though you meant anal sex too....LOL....OMG.
    I was about to say "DOes this belong in the General Parenting" section?
    Seriously, there are too many abbreviations. Just spell it out!
    And BREAST feeding is a personal choice, not a debate topic.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:31 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Nothing wrong with not liking Breast Feeding. To each her own :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• There's nothing wrong with not liking it. But our likes and dislikes have little to do with things that should or need to be done... I'll put this one under "should."

I don't LIKE a lot of things I have to do as a mom. I still do 'em.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:33 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• It's fine to not like breastfeeding. It's fine that it does not work for everyone and the truth is that for whatever reason, sometimes it does not, and it's okay not to feel guilty. I think the problem lies with statements I see every time this subject comes up. It's the "every mom should breastfeed and that is how it should be" comment, as if how a mother feeds her babies is anyone else's business. Or every mom "should at least try before going to formula." It's rude and there is no reason to tell someone else what to do on this one. We all know breast is best. Formula is, for me, the next best thing. If you don't want to feed it to your baby, no one is forcing you to. You can trot out how it's a chemical, how formula feeding mothers cross their fingers and hope it's safe, and be as critical as you want, it's a personal choice. I doubt those who say these things would like their life picked apart and judged.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2011