Spin off: what does it mean to be educated

There were a variety of people that stated they wouldn't be offended if someone said they were uneducated because they knew that they weren't. I find this interesting. I've got more formal education than most, but I still recognize that my education is very limited in relation to all of the information available.

What does "being educated" mean?

Dr.Donna

Asked by Dr.Donna at 11:32 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Ya first of all it means superiority complex. Take it most of us are as educated as you are & ya we are ready to learn more but that doesn't make us think that any ways we are uneducated. That's all.....
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:34 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• i assumed the OP to the originial question meant "uneducated" in general. i excelled in school, got good grades and had a great GPA. so therefore i consider myself "educated". but nobody is educated about every single topic there is. i for one know nothing about the mechanics of a car for example.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• What does it mean to be educated, or to be a person of education? These expressions usually mean something quite different today than they did a century or two ago. The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary gives several definitions for the word educate, including "to train by formal instruction and supervised practice especially in a skill, trade, or profession" and "to develop mentally, morally, or aesthetically especially by instruction." In today‚Äôs fast paced world, emphasis is usually placed on the first definition. The argument seems to be that science and technology have come so far, and the world is so complex, that an individual must specialize in order to accomplish anything.
    But I think it take's ALLOT more world and life experience to be truly educated. Ive met thousands of STUPID college graduates and Dr's.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:40 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• IMO, being educated in the broadest terms is when you have a basic general working knowledge of the world around you (basic reading, writing, mathematical skills, etc) enough to allow you to be a fully functional member of society. That being said, I don't believe you ever stop educating yourself or that any one person is completely knowledgeable on every possible topic. So there is a reasonable chance that someone is "uneducated" about/on/in a particular subject.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You are spinning off of a question referring to a derogatory comment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2011