Help! I just found out my cousin and I have the same name picked!

My cousin, who had her first baby right before my first was born, told me months ago what she was naming her son. I forgot all about it, then my hubby and I picked the same name when we were tossing names around. We both have special reasons for choosing the name, and we both like it better than any other name.

alphamom26

Asked by alphamom26 at 11:34 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Baby Names

• Maybe one of you could call the child by it's middle name? My husband goes by his middle name because he was named after his grandfather.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Well... if the shoes were on the opposite feet, how would you feel? What would you expect HER to do if you'd chosen a name, told her about it and then SHE chose the same name?

Whatever you would want of her is what you should expect to be doing yourself. But talk to her first and BE HONEST. She just might not care. There are a few repeat names among my many cousins.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:37 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Uh-oh! Hopefully she doesn't accuse you of "stealing" it, LOL.
    -Anonymous-

Answer by -Anonymous- at 11:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Let the baby name as it is. You can have two babies with the same name in your relations.
    AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 11:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Whoever gives birth FIRST should get the name. Assuming you both have a boy. You wont know for 100% sure till they are born. First born, first choice I say.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:36 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Can the names be rearranged so the 1st name becomes the middle name and the middle name becomes the 1st name??

How often would the two children be together at a family function?? Are the last names the same?? There are ways around it. Talk to your cousin and work it out.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I just talk to her but if doesn't want you to have the same name better start brain storming again
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 11:42 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• This will create a lifelong 'issue' between you and your cousin. Good Luck
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:43 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I'd go with another name. There are 10000 different names out there. Just so it wouldn't cause a rift between me and my cousin...
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 11:57 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• If thats what you really want then name the baby that. but if your afraid of making her mad then start looking some more for something different. but i would probally talk to her about it and see what she says, she might not even care.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 12:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2011