Remember hearing about people going to "find themselves" before or right after college?

I have one of those kids, my 18 yo is bright straight A AP student who is a "good girl" (in every sense of the phrase) and she has decided she wants to take a year off of school to experience something different. She has booked a room at an extended stay hotel for 3 months and has an interview set up for DisneyWorld June 1st. She is paying for all of it herself.

I have a few friends who say I am crazy for letting her go by herself. I say she is 18 and smart, she knows what she can handle.
If she were YOUR kid would you let her go or try to talk her out of it?

This isn't as crazy as it sounds she wants to work on Disney cruises and when she does go back to school she wants a degree in hospitality.

pammomof9

Asked by pammomof9 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I think your daughter sounds like a brilliant young woman! Congrats! Let her go and find out what she wants to do! Do you realize how many kids go to college just to go and have absolutely no idea what they want to do? Meanwhile, the student loans are adding up and they end up changing their major 4 times! Experience is the best teacher! :)
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• Good for her! School will always be there if/when she wants to go!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I would probably tell her people who take time off some times never go back, or go back much later. That would be my only concern. I would want some sort of promise she will in fact go back.

Answer by gemgem at 11:38 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You know your daughter! If I was in the situation I'd do what you're doing. Let her go, explore, find herself and live her life.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I agree with gemgem, once they get the taste of making money it will be a lot harder to go back to school, I would try to discourage to wait and do this after she is finished with school.

Answer by older at 11:40 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• BTW she has been working for the same restaurant for 2 1/2 years and has paid for trips to California and Colorado so she knows the "fun" of money, this will be the first time she needs her money to survive ;0)
    pammomof9

Comment by pammomof9 (original poster) at 11:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I will say I wish I had done this when I was younger. I would have loved the chance to travel. You know your daughter, if you think she can handle it let her go. Since she is paying for it herself, I don't really see the problem with it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• If she will be living in the Central Florida area we have some great schools near here if she does decides that she wants to go back while still working. Disney is a great company to work for. I wish her luck and hope that she finds what she is looking for when she does this.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:58 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I agree with kmath - wish I had done something like this. If she is as astute as you say then I'm sure she will continue her education and traveling to a new place can be such a great learning experience. I say you are a great mom for supporting her!
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Good for her! She will meet a lot of other young girls just like herself who have embraked on a journey of living on their own and pursuing their dreams. She can go to school at a later date and she will be fine. My step-brother took a year off in between high school grad and starting college. He went to college, got married a year later to his college sweetheart (still married after 20 years) and they have 2 daughter who are 13 and 8 and oh yeah, he's got a really awesome career and makes a 7 figure salary and does very well for himself. Obviously that year off to "find himself" didn't hurt him!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Mar. 24, 2011