Getting in shape: any pointers?

So my roommate has his mind set on joining the armed forces this year. He's applied and the next step will be a physical. So he wants to get in shape. We eat a LOT of junk food around here, and he's got a VERY big appetite. He's asked me to help him out - try and get him to eat the healthier choices when we go out, not get fast food AND popcorn when we go out to a movie, and to get him to work out every night. I know I can remind him to work out every night, but the food part will be tricky for me - I'm as much a sucker for the unhealthy stuff as he is!

We're not going to be super anal about this... just try and cut back on the bad stuff and eat more of the good stuff. No hardcore work outs (he lifts weights for awhile at night at that's it), no crazy diets... just simple changes.

But I know it'll still be hard for us.

So does anyone have any pointers? Any ways I can remember to get him to workout, or remember to workout myself? Any healthy recipes that'll still be cheap and taste good? Or how do you overcome choosing the smaller meal instead of the supersized Big Mac meal? I'm lookin' for anything!

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Health

• Its a matter of will power. As for eating at home it should be easy. Just do not buy anything that is overly fattening. If it is not in the house odds are you are not going to make a special trip to go get a bag of chips ya know? You can also get some good tips if you google "eat this not that". I also use http://www.sparkpeople.com/ they have alot of things and support groups there, recipes etc.

One thing that got me going is I am still friends with my 1st bf and he started working out. Everyday I say something like I came home and napped, he says he went to the gymn & worked out for an hour and feels great it makes me get up off my ass LOL. I figure he wont beat me at being healthy. Then again, Im very competitive./

Answer by gemgem at 11:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Maybe my journal post will help... Good luck!

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 11:45 AM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Hi! The food part is super hard! I totally agree! I think what you're planning sounds good because you're not going for any insane fad diets that aren't practical. I've been a personal trainer for years and anytime people go for the crazy diets, it never works. It's best to just try and eat in moderation and try not to eat so much processed food. (Easier said than done, I know!) One thing that works for me, is eating slower and then before having seconds, wait 10-15 minutes, usually you'll find that you're really not hungry anymore, we're just eating because it tastes good or because we're used to eating more. I've created some healthy recipes I can share with you- I have a sweet tooth and made some recipes that are still delicious but cut a lot of fat and calories. And no fake stuff.
    As far as working out, I can suggest a few DVDs, message me with your email and I'll email you recipes too! Hope this helps!
    CarlyYoga

Answer by CarlyYoga at 11:58 AM on Mar. 23, 2011