Legal Question...can anyone help??

Okay, so my town set up a sewer system, and everyone had to pay to have thier septic tank torn in and hooked up to the system. My brothers live in mothers house in town (she passed away 3 yrs ago, and they are raising my brothers). Well they have both been laid off and have not been able to afford the hook up fees that with the late fee they are trying to hit them with totals about $6400! The town forged a letter stating that the local health department was going to take them to court over this. They know that the letter is forged, because my brother took it to the local Health Department to try to get a grant and they said they never saw the letter, never wrote the letter. Can anyone give me advise on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Sounds fishy. Do you have a consumer reporter at the local news station? Take it to them and maybe they'll investigate and air a report. Also, do you have a representative on the city council? Report it to that representative. Really despicable, in times like these and your bothers both being laid off, they can't expect them to pay for this service nor can they force them to pay for something they just don't have the money for.

Madge1428

Answer by Madge1428 at 10:37 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Report them to the local authorities, and the local news channel. If they are scamming people, they need to get busted fast!
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 1:18 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I agree with previous answer. It could be a legit "upgrade" but perhaps the company that was contracted to do it is trying to get more cash out of the people. Trying to scare them into paying them directly.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:43 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• i agree with the first post! dont hesitate to take it to whoever you can, i live in south florida and we have had more than our share of scammers who prey on the elderly and less fortunate, its disgusting what people can do to others for greed! i hope it all works out for the best for your family!
    virgosuperstar

Answer by virgosuperstar at 8:57 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• We are also in the process of having our section of town upgraded to a sewer line instead of individual septic system. How it's paid for is they tell you your total cost, then break it down over 20 years and roll it into your real estate taxes. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES do you pay the contractor directly!!!! They are already paid by the county via your taxes.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 7:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• OP here-
    We do not have a town representative because it seems like everyone on the council is corrupt. None of the council members, and a few other members of the town pay no sewer fees what so ever. We all recieve a bill and they do not, they simply get the service for free. The town took out 6 million dollars in loans, and there are less then 100 people in our town. They said the 6 million was for the systesm, but everyone had to pay for the hook-up themselves. My brothers just recently paid off my deceased mothers home and it is the only place they have to live because they are raising my other brother (who is a minor), and my cousin (who has fragile X syndrome, my parents raised him from birth). My father died 15 yrs ago, so no help there.
    Anonymous