How does a person get unemployment for 3 yrs?

a close friend of mine has been on it for 3 yrs and does not have to show proof of applying for jobs. how ever my sister was on it for 10 months and the state wanted her to apply for jobs and show proof that she was really looking.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 12:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• OMG. My sister was qualified for the displaced workers program where they pay for her tuition for a 2 year degree in addition to providing her with unemployment benefits for the time that she is in school. Yeah...she screwed off for 2 years that she was supposed to be in school and when they FINALLY told her "you need to be registered for classes by the end of the week or you're cut off, all the sudden she could magically find her way into a school...and they CONTINUED to pay for 2 more years of unemployment AND that tuition.

At least two other people I know FINALLY got kicked off unemployment after 105 weeks or whatever it is up to now! And their reaction is "now I have to get a job"...um...you should have been thinking like that for the last 2 years!

Unemployment was not designed to sustain laziness! All these extensions have KILLED peoples' desire and need to work. It is awful!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• R u sure it is unemployment and not welfare?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I think it depends on the state and circumstances. You got 1 yr awhile back and then a new benefit year would start giving all the new tiers and extentions. That is probably how. My husband was on it and kept tabs on where he looked for work but they never actually asked him. We were kinda shocked and kept records we figured someone would eventually ask, they never did.

Answer by gemgem at 12:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• no it is not welfare
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I didn't nkow that it was possible to be on unemployment for 3 yrs. I don't think that's normal maybe she fell through the cracks.
    Alexias30

Answer by Alexias30 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I guess it varies. But in some areas. Businesses go out of business.My DD's worked at several jobs and they all closed down! Then more and more follow! You live where you live for many reasons. If you won't get extensions you can't live. Then there's the trickle down effect.. If you don't get UEC benefits. No one can live to go on or pay the bills. If you don't pay the bills, buy gas or groceries and do all the things you have to. No one can stay employed. People have to live and shop for it all to stay working. Most people do want to be good citizens. Earn a living and be members of society this this economy is so bad! My DH was at his job for over 24+ years! My son in law his job is going to Mexico! So did DH's Job 26 years ago!! This has to Stop! What is made in the USA to keep us working?
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• because obama made it so by anon = grow up, you can't be proud of your comment cuz it's anon
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• "What is made in the USA to keep us working? "

The service oriented jobs that don't pay well. As they say the wealth gap will only get wider.
    kayslay

Answer by kayslay at 4:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You cannot be on UE for 3 years STRAIGHT. The LONGEST one could be on UE is 99 weeks, and that is NOT even in every state.  There is no way that person was on UE for 3 STRAIGHT years without ever having a job in between.

UE- you get an initial 26 weeks-Tier 1- 20 more weeks-Tier 2- 14 more weeks Tier 3- 13 more weeks-Tier 4- 6 more weeks. You only get tier 3 and 4 if you live in a state where the UE rate is HIGHER than 6.5%. Some states have extended benefits, which MAY give an additional 20 weeks, after all tiers have been exhausted.

Anonymous

• Because Obama made it so.
    Anonymous