What do you feel is an appropriate amount for a wedding gift?

Just want some ideas since the economy is bad, I was wondering if the gift should be a little more extravagant. I used to gauge it on all the customary rules but now it seems like I should be showing more appreciation for them inviting me and my family.

Philly247

Asked by Philly247 at 12:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Just for Fun

• whatever amount can be comfortably worked into your budget to give. I don't think there are 'rules' per-say. I don;t think hte idea of wedding is to get stuff, that's just a happy bonus! IMO
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• If it is someone I am not particularly close to, I do between $25-$50. If it is someone I am very close to, $100. I have never felt like the couple thought I didn't do enough, but I know that not all couples are as gracious as most of the people I know...and there are some cousins that I think will probably be more judgmental.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Depends on where the venue is, if you are related to this person or are they just a friend.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I say $50 is an appropriate gift of money for someone who invited you and your family to their wedding. Now if it's a close friend, or relative I say $100.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 12:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• What you can afford.

We have given $50 gifts, $100 gifts, and $300 gifts... it was dependant on who it was and what we could afford at the time.
    Anonymous

• I agree, many variables. Who are they to you, what type of place is it...for instance, Sunday brunch or Saturday night full on cocktail hour fancy dress, etc...

I always thought that a general rule of thumb for your standard wedding is to cover your plate charge.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My Uncle's second wedding at a Country Club in the evening. The bride-to-be took on a second job to pay for it (also her 2nd wedding). Cocktails, yes and it includes the kids.
    Philly247

Comment by Philly247 (original poster) at 12:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Since it is family, I would say at least $200 - $300 if the whole family is invited. That's standard here in NY.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• $50 minimum if money is tight.
    For our wedding we received anything from $50 up to a couple thousand.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• A wedding gift should be 1/1000 of your yearly income. If you make 23k a year then a 23$ gift is reasonable. If you make 500k a year you better give them a 500$ gift or they'll think your cheap.
    jenmerk

Answer by jenmerk at 1:18 PM on Mar. 23, 2011