Help, I caused a stir at the office

I'm giving a presentation about income recovery in times of financial disaster. I had an idea to get a bank's interest. When I passed the idea to the director, she said that the idea was not cool, that it was illegal because it was co-branding. I asked about another idea, but the director jumped immediately to the co-branding subject when I already apologized and said that the idea was no longer on the table. Now, my boss has approached me about the wayward idea (when it was only an idea - that I didn't know any better).

I made it clear that I won't proceed with the idea because I now know it's illegal.

How can I get the office to nip the conversation because it's dead? (It keeps to continue echoing around).

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 12:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• Just say "I didn't realize that was illegal...now I know...this is completely separate from that"...it lets them know that you recognize your mistake, learned from it, and are done hearing about it.

When I was a teenager working midnights at walmart, I made a mistake with price matching. I didn't realize there was a quantity limit on the number of items a customer could price match, which I learned soon afterward was 6 of an item. So a man came in with an ad for a better price on small cans of liquid formula and bought 10...I discounted them all, and then later, he came in and did the same thing again. Once before midnight and once after midnight so it looked like I did it two days in a row when the first thing they did was post posters ALL OVER with the limit, which was super embarrassing as it was.

After I was sick of being attacked about it, particularly the idea that I "did it the next day too" (when it was really only
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• an hour and a half apart), I finally jumped the harassing supervisors butt about it. Asked him if he really thought I ignored being singled out and having posters everywhere from every register to the time clock to sell more formula at an 59 cent discount, and if he had bothered to look at the times on those orders long enough to notice they occurred just before and just after midnight?

Sorry so long, but once I pushed back they saw me as "human" again and shut up about it.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Can't they cut you a break? It is not as if you plunged ahead with both feet, you presented an idea for god's sake!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• At least you are trying to come up with new ideas,Let them all talk say what they want.You continue on dear.It will blow over .Never limit yourself to others opinions of you,Just let them hear what you have to say.Cudos for being a good employee,hard to find these days.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 5:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Wow...sorry that's happening to you! Sounds pretty douchey
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:36 AM on Mar. 24, 2011