Any tips on weaning an 18month old who just does not want to stop breast feeding?

My 18 month old LOVES to nurse. I am having a really hard time weaning him. It also does not help that he Hates milk--he can tolerate chocolate or strawberry milk though, but doesn't love it. Any ideas?

saraheline

Asked by saraheline at 12:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Stopping nursing was TOUGH - and my daughter was about 18 months old. This is a VERY personal decision, some women nurse their kids until 2 and WAY beyond which wasn't for me. At this point, its for comfort. I had to go out of town for about a week so that helped me stick to the stopping of nursing and by that time it was only at night to go to sleep but my boobs HURT - I felt like a mad woman who wanted to run around and nurse any available babies (just kidding of course). So just set your mind and prepare for reality - it can be frustrating, you will have guilt but it's a normal healthy transition and one of many difficult things you will face as a mother. If he likes strawberry/choc milk you can try but I'd be careful on increasing his sweet tooth. It's not the taste at this point its really more of his security blanket - he'll get used to the taste of milk. Maybe a little kayro syrup in it in decreasing amounts? GL
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 12:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• and I agree with But Mommie - he doesn't necessarily HAVE to drink milk if he's getting his calcium elsewhere.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Well, first of all cows milk is not necessary if he is getting the calcium and good fats other places. Yogurt , cheese....
    As far as weaning though. With my LO I cut 1 feeding at a time every few days. She was younger so it may not work with yours but. We went form 5 feedings to 4 to 3 to... you get the idea. It took a couple of weeks.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Its not just the calcium in milk, infact that has little to do with it, it's for the fatty acids in whole milk which is for the brain. I'm sure there are other sources of that particular fatty acid but my kids never had a problem with milk. Best of luck. I knew friends who just quit cold turkey and others who quit gradualy
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 1:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Cut out one feeding a day, and one more every couple of days after. Replace that feeding with something else. Keep the naptime and bedtime nursings for last. Is there something he really really likes that you don't really like him to have/do/play with? Maybe have/do/play with him with that for a few minutes when he wants to nurse? Or put his attention elsewhere, like take him to the kitchen and get a sippy of water, or a snack, or just anything to get his attention off your boob.
    Anonymous

• Maybe if you cut off one feeding at a time and let daddy or someone else give him his bottle while you are away? Maybe he'll like soy milk?
    alemlovo

Answer by alemlovo at 11:39 AM on Mar. 24, 2011