How much should i pay a babysitter??

My son will be one this saturday and he is a very active energetic little boy. well it is the holiday season and we are working a lot of overtime at my shop and i will be working all weekends until after the holidays and i posted an ad to look for a babysitter and i got quite a few good replies but i dont know how much to pay them? in my home? in their home? one lady told me that the going rate is 8-10 an hour and i def cant afford that. during the week my son goes to day care and she only charges 2.75 an hour so i am totally confused and when i babysat when i was in high school(4 years ago) i only charged like 2 or 3 an hour. any input will help!!!

tyhlarsmommy07

Asked by tyhlarsmommy07 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 26, 2008 in General Parenting

• well when i drop my kids off at hourly daycare it's 3.50 an hour, i know someone that babysits for $2 an hour, per kid, but then again i've also been charged, $10 for the first 2 hours, then $7 each additional hour. i think it all depends on how much cost of living is in your area, but i think that between $2 and $5 is good.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 1:36 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• i pay my sitter $40 a week! Drop him off at 8 in the morning and pick him up at around 5that evening. I bring lunch and everything but thats only TEN BUCKS a day
    ReadyToRage

Answer by ReadyToRage at 1:45 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• oh and my son is2 and a half
    ReadyToRage

• i dont know. i've never left my son with a babysitter. but i babysit my neighbors kid, i get paid 480 a month! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 2:14 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I think it depends on who you're hiring. Are you wanting a full on child care provider / day care sort of situation? if so, unless you have what boils down to a set fee as opposed to a flexible hourly fee you're going to pay more - especially on weekends. If you want another adult to babysit, then that price is going to fluctuate depending on where you live, what they feel their time is worth, etc.

If you don't mind hiring a responsible teenager and paying them an hourly rate, you're probably going to pay about 3 - 5 an hour. I know that's what my teens and most of their friends charge, depending on how many kids you have, if it's a baby/toddler or older kid they're sitting for, etc.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:02 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Something else to keep in mind - if it's a day care sort of situation, where there are more kids, then there is a chance where the price will be lower (as well as the whole set price thing). If the person you want to watch your kid is only sitting for you at the time then they're going to charge more. Because basically, if there are a few families, you're splitting the cost of their time and effort to a certain extent. If it's just you, you're footing the whole bill to make it worth it to them to give up that time.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:06 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• oh - lol - one other thing - that teen rate is what they get here in WA state just north of Seattle, but it's also what the going rate was when we lived in MD in the Baltimore / DC area, so I'm thinking it's a pretty good gauge as to what to pay teens....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:08 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Here where I live in Missouri the babysitting rate is about 7 a hour.

I would ask each person that has shown interest in babysitting your child how much they charge and if they are willing to negotiate if it is going to be a constant babysitting job.
    Angel_baby2

Answer by Angel_baby2 at 6:14 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• You also have the option of finding a daycare in your area that is open on the weekends and then you would pay the going daycare rate. If your provider does not do weekends she would be able to put you in touch with the agency that helps with childcare in your area or you can go to your state.gov and then put in daycar in the search enginge and it sould give you a list of the licensed childcare providers. Michigan breaks it down by county and I think it shows what hours they are licensed for so it makes it easy to look for a weekend person to see if they have openings. Good luck.
    momof4treasures

Answer by momof4treasures at 6:38 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Oh, man. This hurts. This is probably because I live in a big city, but the cheapest babysitter we have found with a background check, for our 10 month old is $17 an hour! And she is asking to be payed for holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas day) and she only works for us about 15 hrs a week! Who gets paid holidays for part time work!?!
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 6:50 AM on Nov. 26, 2008