Sippy Cups

How did you get your child switched over from a bottle to a sippy cup? I am just having the hardest time with this. I have 4 different kids of sippy cups and they all love to drink water thru all of them but when it comes to milk they want it in a bottle or they won't drink it at all. I have 2 year old twins and a 15 month old.

momoftwins250

Asked by momoftwins250 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it's hard i have 4 kids 2 mos, 4,7 and 9. it was hard you just have to get rid of them so you won't give in they'll probably cry alot for a day or two but they will use the cups when they know you won't give in
    wells2811

Answer by wells2811 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Neither of my kids ever had a bottle, so this might be different, but I would skip the sippy completely. My oldest had a sippy and it was such a hard habit to break. I ended up skipping straight to a straw with my youngest. They aren't spill proof, but they were easy for him to learn at around 7 or 8 months with water in them. His teeth are so much straighter than his brother, who had a sippy. This is what I used:

JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• i got the sippy cups that have the soft bottle like top to them and just took the bottle away. if she wanted milk she would have to drink through that and after a while i traded out the kind of cup. shes two and only uses a sippy cup of water for bed (spilling reasons). good luck!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I wouldn't push it. Most kids can meet their dairy requirement with cheese or yogurt. Once they realize they aren't getting to get the bottle, maybe they'll break down and drink it out of the sippy.

Answer by missanc at 1:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• It took a straw cup for my son, but he wouldn't drink anything out of a regular sippy. Sounds like yours is a different problem, like it's as much about comfort as the contents, if that makes sense. Maybe try getting them a special cup just for milk? Let them pick out their own "milk cup", and then use it for milk only? Just a thought, no experience. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I introduced the sippy around 5 months old. One of mine self-weaned from the bottle at 9 months, the rest were all off by 17 months. THROW THE BOTTLES AWAY!
    Anonymous

• I have to soft bottle like sippy, I have the regualar sippy and I have the straw like sippy. I think I will just not put the milk in the bottles anymore and have grummy kids for a couple of day until they just give up and use the sippy cups. Thank you
    momoftwins250

Comment by momoftwins250 (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2011