Is it safe to let my daughter sleep on her stomach?

i know 95% of yall will say no, she is 3 months can lift and move her head all around. she sleeps longer and better on her tummy, she sleeps in my bed wit just me. i know all about SIDS but 20 years ago we all slept on our stomachs and r all here today, so i just wanted to see what others thought and if mayb there was another way to lay her, (but she hates sleeping on her back)

groomermom10

Asked by groomermom10 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• you're not supposed to let them sleep on their tummy because they can smuther themselves in exhaustion and just drop their head down without the energy to move it anymore :-(
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:30 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• if you are right there with her at all times, its fine. she will soon enough be able to roll over and sleep on it herself anyway. but never leave her alone if she's sleeping on her tummy before she rolled over to that position herself.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My son never slept on his tummy, but my daughter sleeps on her belly. I always lay her down on her back but when she wakes up or I wake up she is on her tummy. Now 7 months old and still happy and healthy.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• ALL of my children slept on their belly from birth. When we were kids we all slept on our bellies and it's been proven to aid with colic and other digestion issues. As long as a baby can turn their head from side to side they will do so to breath, even while sleeping, just like you do. And their chances of choking are actually higher when on their back. So yes, put your baby to sleep how SHE is going to sleep...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• This was asked in the babies forum a couple days ago, there's a bunch of answers about tummy sleeping there, and most of them say its okay :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 1:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would say no. It might seem that she sleeps better on her stomach, but is it really worth the risk ? There are a million things parents didn know back in the day, but they used what happened back in the day to support what NOT to do Today. Thousands of infants had to die on their bellies for it to be a concern that is often spoken about today. You seem to think that every child born before 2000 survived. Just because it wasnt in the daily news these past 30+ years doesnt mean it didnt happen. Good luck.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 1:33 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I had an awful time with my son not wanting to sleep on his back. He was able to pick up his head and all the other things so I was letting him nap on his belly in the pack and play for a while then I just gave in and let him sleep on his belly... the first few night I was in the room several more times than normal to check on him... you do what you think is right and what you are comfortable with. if your going to do it just make sure there is nothing around her head... no pillow, blanket and that she is on a firmer matress.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 1:34 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• thank you all, i appreciate ur input. im so torn as to what to do, im gonna do what im gonna do but hearing what other people do and think does help :)
    groomermom10

Comment by groomermom10 (original poster) at 1:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• If she can roll over onto her tummy by herself then yes, but if not they say they do not have the muscles to turn their head if needed
    Sonshiner

Answer by Sonshiner at 1:44 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would try to listen to the doctor. My mom said I slept on my tummy and I'm just fine. Still though, through research or whatever I guess they found there's less of a risk to put them to sleep on their backs. My baby is also 3 months old. I let her sleep on her stomach during the day if she's napping, but I'm next to her the whole time. If she's not in there, she's in her swing sleeping. Maybe if your baby really hates sleeping flat on her back at night, you could put her to sleep in a swing where she's still on her back, but tilted up a little so she's not completely flat.
    Rileysmom25

Answer by Rileysmom25 at 1:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2011