is it ok to give and 8 months old...

turkey? like minced up. idk if i can i havent yet i was just wondering since hes my first . i have started him on solids already.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It really depends on where your child is at developmentally. Has he had chunks of things before? My daughter is 8 months old, too, and she handles chunks like a champ, so she's had little chunks of meat. However, some babies take longer to get off the purees than mine did, so they wouldn't be ready for chunks of meat at 8 months.

If you do give him chunks, make sure that they're tiny (small enough to swallow) and watch him carefully to make sure he can handle it. Happy Thanksgiving!

Waldorfmom, if you're going to advocate a vegetarian lifestyle for children, I would highly recommend advocating that people do their research on how to have a healthy vegetarian lifestyle. The nutrients from meat are important, and it takes a lot of research and effort to provide those nutrients from non-meat sources.
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 4:33 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I wouldn't ...unless its organic and you throw a very small amount in the food processor...mixed with formula or breast milk. Everybody says something different when it comes to the time line of food ...docs are not really trained in the field and its all guidlines without studies...different cultures introduce different foods... as long as they don't choke...or get sick..try it see if he likes it.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:53 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• i say why not. if you already introduced him to solids. have fun! :D
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 2:26 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• OP well i was thinking he could enjoy a small meal with me and DH since its just us 3 and he loves food. i just thought i would get some opinions from some moms
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• Just my opinion, but I kept my children off eggs and meat until they were 4 or 5. Look into it for yourself, of course, but there are some very good health reasons to do this. a little white meat chicken after they're 3, perhaps ... This is a long-standing practice, well-known for hundreds of years, but now nutrition research has been discovering the intricate workings of insulin and hormones and the way meat and egg yolks promote inflammation. So, letting the child's liver mature a bit before asking it to handle these heavier fats is once again see to be a good idea. ... Yet another discarded old wives' tale which turns out to be a good idea !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:41 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• ^^ Do you mean 4/5 years or months?
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:03 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• OP hmmmmm i wouldnt wait until they were 4 or 5 yrs old to give them some meat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• give it a try is he eating any other solids (mashed taters any thing like that) my daughter was eating solids at that age and the girl will eat anything you put in front of her she loves saurkraut ewww four or five what do you plan on feeding your child til then? just wondering
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:04 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• The above answers have all been good, so I will just add you can always get the turkey dinner stage 3 baby food if you're not sure. Then he can have turkey dinner, too! My husband is Italian and was so excited when I brought the stage 3 lasagna to one of our favorite Italian restaurants, so our little guy could eat like us!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 8:39 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• We started our daughter on meats around that age, she loved them and still does!
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 9:11 AM on Nov. 26, 2008