How many of you have heard of Job Corps?

would you ever consider it an option for your children?

http://www.jobcorps.gov/home.aspx

zoejains_momma

Asked by zoejains_momma at 1:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Quit dogging on job corp if you dont know anything about it. It's a good program for some people. I know some college grads that haven't been doing well in the job market so going to college doesn't guarantee anything. Job corp offers training in a skill. Its a good choice for some who want to learn a specific job skill. They live at the site & are supervised (way more then any college student is at a dorm that's for sure!) They aren't allowed to drink, do drugs, party, all those things college students who live on campus have free reign to do. They also assist with job placement after program completion. I think its a good program for young adults who want to train in a skill & don't or can't incur the cost of a student loan. Also, if for some reason it doesnt work out nobody is left owing a huge loan.
    Anonymous

• I know a 17 yr old girl who is in Job Corp. She has an unhappy home life and couldn't wait to get away - Job Corp gave her the ability to leave home.

I would not send my kids, they will go to college.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yes I have, and if they want to do it, that'll be their choice. I won't force them in, I won't force them out if they want in.
    Anonymous

• My mother and my husband both went to Job Corps.....I've heard only good things about the program but I would hope that my children would rather go to college or at least a tech school
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My husband attended and graduated from jobcorps. Great place for some. Ppl learn differently and this place gives one structure stability and a change of environment. My husband went in as a boy and came out a mature young adult.
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I'd rather college but like I said everyone learns differently. We will have to see.
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 2:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I went at 19. was a good program that turned many lives around
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 1:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• We have one nearby where I live. I wouldn't consider it for my children because I plan on my children going to college. But this program has been very beneficial to many who come from homes where college is not an option. They've had rough home lives and this is the only way for them to grow up and get a career. I see nothing wrong with the program it self.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• nope I'd never recommend that program or even think of sending my lo's
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 1:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My oldest is 4, but I wouldn't suggest they go to Job Corps if they were older. I will pay for college or Tech school instead. Job Corps is a government run program and not one that I back.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:50 PM on Mar. 23, 2011