Rehomed pets

Why would you give someone a thumbs down for rehoming a pet they couldn't keep? They did the responsible thing by finding them new homes instead of just dumping them on some dead end street and driving off. I rehomed thousands of pets when I worked for the SPCA and rehomed my great aunts four cats when she died of colon cancer. Should I get a thumbs down for not taking them all home to live with me? Don't make people feel bad for finding their pet a new home when unfortunate circumstances arise. They probably felt bad enough having to leave them behind. The people you need to thumbs down are the ones who dump their pets in a cardboard box because they get bored with them.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Pets

• I rehomed a stray I found. We got him neutered and gave him his shots then gave him away. I felt like people supported my choice, they didn't look down at my actions.

Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• agreed :)
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 2:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Not the shelter people. Someone asked if anyone had ever rehomed a pet and someone went through all the answers giving anyone who said yes and gave good reasons a thumbs down.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would love to get one of those cats being rehomes but my current landlord won't allow it. But our building just got sold so maybe the new manager's will!
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 2:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I think it's great when someone can give their pets a home that is a better fit. If everyone is happier all around, why would that be bad? Would it really be better to keep a pet in your home when it isn't working out and everyone is tense because of it?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Cats come her all the time! Once 3 cats were left on my doorstep. There has to be a sign in the woods sending me cats. Then people just want to give me more!! I've placed ads and try to find the owners! Once I had the owner come over. I showed them their kitten. Yes that's her! I said oh how about this one? She goes, Yes that's her mom. I go, Do you want to take her home? She replies No. The mom came and goes and the Kitten came and stayed! I ended up getting her Fixed. Since prior she had 2 litters of kittens here for us! Its hard to take care of so many.. When I got Cancer. And prior to that. My DH lost his job & our insurance! But I try to take care all that come here. I appreciate people that care to help pets. Care to relocate and find their needed Forever homes!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 2:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I think it is a wonderful thing to do. It ensure the pet is going some place it will be cared for, instead of like you said a ditch and drive deal. I would give you a two thumbs up!! and anyone who has the chance to do this deserves it too!!!
    hbrown522

Answer by hbrown522 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• There may be some valid reasons to rehome a pet. However, many people just decide they do not want to deal with the animal and give pretty lame excuses as to why they can't keep their pets. Even if they are not dumping them on the streets or leaving them in a cardboard box they are still abandoning the animal. I believe that when an animal that i have adopted enters my home it is for the life of that animal. If I move, have a baby or any other of life many hiccups happen they will still be apart of my family.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Don't feel bad at all. You did do the right thing! Some animals just aren't right for your family or your situation at a certain time. I have "abandoned" a few animals at wonderful, loving homes because they either didn't get along with my other dogs or tried to bite my children or completely destroyed my house because they really needed a bigger yard to play in. It isn't abandoning a dog if you find them a better loving forever home. If I dropped it on the side of the road, then yes, that is the true definition of abandonment. I have never taken an animal to a shelter, but if I absolutely couldn't find them a home on my own, then I probably would.
    Jeannie721

Answer by Jeannie721 at 4:22 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• you have done the right thing if you yourself cannot afford a pet then the best thing is to try and rehome them
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:13 AM on Mar. 24, 2011