Should I switch Therapist or not?

My daughter is seeing a very nice therapist, but she is an intern, she gives my daughter options on wether she needs to go to therapy or not. I explained she must go, there is not option her, she said she didn't mean it that way but hello, it came out that way and that is the way a teenager will use it.

Last appointment I asked her to call me I wanted to let her know what was going on at home, she never did that was 2 weeks ago too long. She was like ok, then I left messages she never called me... My daughter never showed anyway, but now she has too and that is understood. I think I need someone more advanced for her.

Do you think I need to find another therapist? She has no idea what is going on with my daughter and I just wanted to keep her posted.

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Health

• yes i would say find someone else for your daughter if she's not getting the help she needs
    wells2811

Answer by wells2811 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yes go look for another today !

We had a Therapist for our Daughter she did work with us but we did what we thought is best for our family.

She told us to let my daughter fail a class if she does not want to do the work and we said Hell No she will not fail and she did not.

Not everything they tell you will work for your family, so be careful.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My father took me to a woman therapist only trained in addictions counseling, and that was not my problem. It felt forced. Neither she nor I were comfortable with each other. I just did not feel free enough to open up to her. Another time I started with a middle aged woman counselor that I really felt at ease with. She was the supervisor of the program. I was then referred me to a man counselor that I could not open up to, so I stopped going. Years later I tried a third time with a middle aged woman who I felt was judging me. I had only that one appointment. I kept a few appointments with a woman my age. However, my best fit was group therapy. Sometimes it takes awhile to be ready to be in counseling, and then find the counseling you can thrive in.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 4:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2011