UH MOTHER!! is it only mine??

okay so im one of 6 kids..i hate that we have to offer my mother money for her to even consider watchin my kids :( she does it free for everyone else. we hardly ever ask her n my kids love seein n being with her..y is it that when ever i ask her the first thing she say is what r u gonna pay me. :o i was around one time when my sister asked her n all she said was yeah of course what time. wtf it just pisses me off..they r her grandchildren she shouldnt want to get paid to spend quality time with them.

mommyof3_21

Asked by mommyof3_21 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• Yeah that would make me kind of upset too, yet I pay my ex hubby to babysit his own children so I can't offer any good advice lol. Maybe just ask her why the favoritism?
    Sessy89

Answer by Sessy89 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Tell her that. GL
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 2:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I've read one of your previous questions about your mom's gambling and that you don't give her money. It's connected. She wants money one way or the other. It has nothing to do with her willingness to watch her grand-babies.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 2:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I can see if it was only once in a while her watching your kids should be free. But if it's a habit or if it's for you to work, then I can see why she is asking to get paid. Then again she should be charging all of them not just you. My mother watches my kids for the fun of it. Usually when she offers hubby and I go out and do something. This usually happens once a month or so. I also give her a few bucks that she refuses so I leave it on the table for her.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:17 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Talk to her and let her know how you feel.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Does she think you guys make a lot of money? That can be a reason.

But I would point it out, and tell her how hurt that makes you feel.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• isabellalecour-- she is majorly addicted but everytime she comes around its like she sees dollar signs on my kids :( its just heart breaking that sometimes we only have so much money to do one thing like once or twice a month she doesnt care if i say im not paying u to spend time with ur grand kids she doesnt watch them..or even to get her to come visit she says r u gonna give me money for gas like wtf she lives here in the same town..i dont understand y i need to pay her to get to see her or for my children to get to spend time with her..
    mommyof3_21

Comment by mommyof3_21 (original poster) at 2:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• You have a choice to stand by your principles and not enable her by providing money or purchase a grandmother for your children who isn't the best role model that she could be and continue to enable her gambling by providing pocket money to do so. Sometimes tough love means making hard choices. It will be her loss and her choice if she doesn't she her grand-babies because you refuse to enable her gambling addiction.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 2:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• My mom NEVER watches my kids and they are her ONLY grandchildren. I guess she is trying to rlive her youth cuz she had me at 14. I watched my brothers day in and out growing up she at least owes me that. MIL watches everyones kids but ours. They drop and go but when we ask she is too tired or just doesn't feel like it. WTF! Can I get a break?
    KoolMom617

Answer by KoolMom617 at 2:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I think you and I must be sisters, because you just described my mother to a T!!! We have the added problem of having a special needs child( autism) and my mother refuses to educate herself about his autism. It's sad, she's missing out on a GREAT kid, and has lost me as a daughter in the process. I hope she's happy.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 2:48 PM on Mar. 23, 2011