How can i get my son to overcome his attitude?

My son is 8 and he has a attitude about everything.. When i tell him to do home work brush his teeth pick up his stuff or anything he gets a attitude and rolls his eyes and throws a little fit.. It seems like nothing is making him happy anymore and its frustrating.. any ideas?

kimsmith22

Asked by kimsmith22 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It's just a phase. He'll get through it. Don't put a lot of emphasis on the eye rolling but just mention the attitude isn't appreciated bc it will get worse as the teen years come. I think that's a big leap saying he doesn't want to do homework or brush his teeth (normal behavior for his age) and saying "nothing is making him happy anymore". I wouldn't assume nothing is making him happy and if you truly think that then discuss his happiness with him. Perhaps getting him to define happiness could help.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• He needs an attitude adjustment. I did those by spanking their butts. It is not your job to make him happy. It is your job to train him to be respectful and obedient, first of all to yourself and then to others. That kind of behavior was not tolerated in our home, nor do I think it should be in yours. He's plenty old enough to understand, so I would explain to him the new rules. You will be told once what you are to do. You will either do it immediately without delay, discussion, or defiance, or you will suffer the consequences of your own disobedience. The choice is his to make. Then you follow through, consistently. He will soon come to understand that you mean business. Eye rolling counts as defiance aka disgust. Not to be allowed.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• IGNORE the attitude. IT is a phase and will go away. He is old enough to sit down and talk WITH him about why it's not ok to have an attitiude with an adult. Explain that when he has an attitude he will lose priveleges, write dictionary pages, whatever you decide the consequence is. Be consistent and you do NOT have to spank him. He is old enough to reason with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I have loved the book by Chick Moorman/Thomas Haller "The only three discipline strategies you will ever need.....
    Suzie2mom

Answer by Suzie2mom at 3:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Ground him?
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 5:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Have you talked to him?
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 7:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I agree it is just a phase. One of many that you have to deal with as they grow up. I would always tell my son that I don't treat him that way so he should not treat me that way and until he learned manners we wouldn't talk. I would then just truly ignore him or if he came in to talk to me about something, I would give him a dose of his one medicine and then sit down and talk to him about it. Tell him, "see how that makes you feel when I treat you that way. That is how I feel when you do that same thing to me." It helped with my son and would make him stop and think twice before being rude or hateful.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:03 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Remind him of his manners, and try not to lose your cool.
    lilahsmommie

Answer by lilahsmommie at 12:55 AM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think there are phases a lot of kids go through and you just have to be consistent all the time, every time. Explain that disrespect and fits ARE NOT acceptable and have a consistent consequence every time he acts out. I think too many times parents let the kids "occasionally" get away with sass and that makes it continue or get worse. If you NEVER tolerate it and make it clear what your expectations are, kids get it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:59 PM on Mar. 24, 2011

• I think it is just a phase that happens at his age, He will grow out of it, and it will come back worse when he is a teen.
    lilahsmommie

Answer by lilahsmommie at 12:52 AM on Mar. 24, 2011