How to deal with my 7 year old?

my 7 year old daughter has been spoiled. she is great in school always getting 100's but as soon as she gets home she has a horrible attitude she says she don't know how to do her home work when i know she does she wines and complains the whole time sometimes she even throws stuff how can i make hw time more peacefull?

wells2811

Asked by wells2811 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am sure she is a little worn out from school. Give her some time, have her drink some water and get outside even for a few minutes. Let her eat a snack then see if she does better.
    sabianmom

Answer by sabianmom at 2:46 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I agree with sabianmom. Give her time to relax, unwind, then do homework. I usually sit with my boys (7 &11) with a snack and drink and talk about my day and theirs till their homework is done. When she whines, throws things and has temper tantrums I would ignore her. Take away her prized possessions till she cuts it out. Good luck
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I work with children of different ages and have found the book by Chick Moorman/Thomas Haller "The only three discipline strategies you will ever need" to be helpfull.
    Suzie2mom

Answer by Suzie2mom at 3:29 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Dont have her do homework righ after school, let her go outside and play, unwind. eat!! Maybe a good time would be while dinner is being made, or whatever, and just say to her, look, I know you can do this, so stop whinning and do it, the more you whine, the long untill its done. Or, have something fun to do after it is over. LIke going to the park, watch a movie, but not till its done .
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 3:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Personally, I think homework is a waste of time. Kids are stuck sitting in a school for 7-8 hours a day and then expected to come home and do and hour or two more?? It's stupid! Kids are worn out at the end of the day and want a break. I would not have her do it right after school and see how that works.
    Anonymous

• We always had homework after dinner because they needed time to relax after school. Then my DH and I could be there to help and look it over. Just one idea.............
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Grounding her?
    Samanthamommy

Answer by Samanthamommy at 5:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I would give her time after school to play. How many hours of hw does she have?
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 7:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011