Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 Bumps

OMG! What do I do? What do I need to do legally? (long and pretty hard to believe)

I have a friend from high school. She is sixteen and still in high school and we've been friends for years. She called me last night at 10PM in tears. Her parents had disowned her for getting pregnant! They had told her she had thirty minutes to get some clothes and get out of their home and now she has a month to get the rest of her things. She said she had already called both sets of grandparents and her two aunts and they hung up on her when they found out why she got kicked out. She had nowhere else to go so my husband went and picked her up. I was up all night with her just talking to her and letting her cry it out. She's like a baby sister to me and after talking to my husband, we both decided we have no problem letting her stay here as long as she keeps her job and stays in school. We don't even want rent from her, just as long as she can pay her own cell bill and buy her own clothes and any extra snacks she wants.

What do I need to do as far as a legal stand point so her parents can't come back at me? Should I go after her parents for some kind of support? Do I need to go for custody of her or is she emancipated because of the pregnancy? How can I get her insurance? And what I would want most is to see if I can't get her and her parents to work through this because I really don't want to support her family splitting from her or any bad relations between them. How can I do this?

I know she would have to transfer to our school district because we can't have her down to her current school by 8 every morning where we live. What do I need to enroll her since she is not my child?

Really need some advice and support here.
Thanks ladies.

Answer Question

Asked by MamaStuart at 2:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

Level 19 (8,209 Credits)
Answers (21)
  • Her parents can't legally kick her out because she is not 18. Not helpful I know.

    Answer by mommytoJames512 at 2:56 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • No easy answers - but your and adult and so are her parents - if you fear that they will not talk or listen to what you can propose in the best interests of their daughter make sure you have a third party whether it is legal counsel or someone with similar authority around, this way her parents are likely to not come at you, and see that you are only trying to help, I can't fathom kicking my kids out no matter what they've done so I cannot understand the parents position at this point, for me I'm the kind who will have them stay home and live up to their new found responsibilities. But best of luck to you and this young lady!

    Answer by JusaLady at 2:57 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • Unbelievable! You did the right thing looking out for her. As far what should you do now. I'm so sorry I have no clue! Maybe call her school counselor and ask them. Good luck to both of you.

    Answer by mamaada at 2:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • U need to consult a lawyer. I have to leave for work but,I'll be back after midnight. I'll help u more!

    Answer by dancer at 2:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • First, what her parents did is illegal. She can legally leave but also takes special papers. she's theirs till she's 18! call SS

    Answer by sabianmom at 2:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • She needs to go file for emancipation and check into Medicaid for insurance until she has the baby.

    Answer by Kimedbs at 2:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • Depending on the state of course. I don't believe they can legally kick her out without giving her proper written notice so if you wanted to force the issue she can probably call the police and they will enforce keeping her in home - not sure based on parents reaction that is best for her. I don't believe you are legally emancipated JUST because you become pregnant. You need to understand what you are taking on here - your legal bills could be ridiculously expensive to try and help this girl. I would start with making a trip down to child & family services to see what assistance she can qualify for, talk to police department to find out her rights and go from there. You may be getting in way more than you realize so although I commend you wanting to help - pump the breaks a bit. Also I don't think you CAN enroll her in school since you are not legal guardian and here in Florida my 18 year old daughter could not .....cont

    Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 2:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • cont.......could NOT disenroll herself from school because I enrolled her. She could drop out and cease going but not transfer schools which is what she was trying to do on her own. So there MANY MANY pitfalls here you are going to have to navigate. You might also talk to the counselor of her high school as they typically have a social worker who could help mediate the situation and let you know what HER rights are a 16 year old with parents who have disowned her. GOOD LUCK

    Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • I was emancipated when I was seventeen and it was after four years of my father kicking me out hitting me and beating me he did not want to be resposnible for me anymore so the courts emancipated me. have you attempted to talk to her parents to find out where they stand?

    Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

  • Its tricky really. At 16 she is medically emancipated, but not legally. My dd was preggers at 16 so I had to learn all of this. Legally her dad & I were still responsible for her (financially, legally etc, she has an accident I would have to pay). You have 2 choices is how I see this. Take her in and just go day by day and hope maybe she can resolve some sort of relationship with her family in the future.
    Call CPS and explain the situation and say you have no want or need to have her taken from your custody but she is a minor whose been abandoned by her family.
    Get a lawyer and have her parents sign over whatever custody they want to you.

    Answer by gemgem at 3:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.