What's your opinion?-Gluclose test

I have my gluclose test tommorrow.I was wondering how the drink tastes?Other question is - me and my mom are close,I go to her for advice and all that for almost everything.im thinking of having her come with me and my SO to my appt for some personal reasons.. Mainly because I just got over a UTI, might have it back. when I was younger I had some issues with having UTI's because I was born with beckwith wiedemann syndrome. And because of my syndrome,had issues with UTIs mainly younger.I want my doctor to know about this as much as possible before my due date.since she pretty much knows everything about it and all that went on when i was little, want her with to explain about it so they're aware more.I just hope my SO doesn't mind. havent had much of a chance to talk about it.Hopefully not since its about our babies health and mine.Whats your opinion on it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 AM on Nov. 26, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It tastes like super sweet flat cola or orange soda
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 4:32 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I think its a ridiculous test unless you have diabetes in your family or are very very over weight.
    Its a miserable test and you cant eat and feel really icky after, you will waste a whole day at least.
    peppermintkathy

Answer by peppermintkathy at 4:36 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I dunno. I refuse to take the test. There are other ways to test for gestational diabetes that are more realible since 80% of women fail the one hour glucose test.

And if you want your mom there ask her to come. It sounds like you know everything the doctor will need to know though.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:19 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I never had to fast for the one hour glucose test and passed both times, it really wasn't a big deal for me. They give you a small bottle of orange or lemon/lime soda (obviously not the best tasting, but its not as bad as you would think) and prick your finger an hour after you finish the bottle.

As far as having your mom come with you, I would seriously hope your husband doesn't mind. That is your mother who has a lot of good information to offer a doctor regarding the health of you and your child. I know a ton of women who have their mothers go to every appointment.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:52 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• it does not matter if your overweight or not, There was a woman at the birthing class who was about 100 pounds soaking wet before pregnancy, and at the time she was about 120 being 25 weeks along and had GD, no history of diabetes in her family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Nov. 26, 2008

• I'm 28 weeks and I'm not taking this test. I didn't in my last pregnancy either. I have in the past but if you have no warning signs and no history I see no point. The drink stuff...if I remember correctly tatstes like flat, VERY sweet soda.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2008

• The drink is really sweet, it basically tastes like orange kool aid with lots of added sugar. Drink it cold/over ice and as quickly as you can so you taste less of it. That's what I did and it wasn't that bad. I didn't get nauseated or anything, and I also didn't have to fast for my test. It all depends on the dr.
    Babyness

Answer by Babyness at 1:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2008