What is the best way to get my 9 month old to quit biting while breastfeeding? My other two did not and this one does almost every time she nurses! (4 teeth too!)

Breastfeeding, biting

threeisenuff

Asked by threeisenuff at 3:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've always thumped the underside of their chin and said "no". All five of mine have bitten some, but quit with one or two good thumps. They didn't cry, but they did catch on that they were not to do that anymore. Blessings!
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 4:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• I just stopped that feeding immediately, if they bite, then they're done till next time. Try feeding the solids after nursing to ensure true hunger. Good luck. I always removed them from the breast with a firm NO. It didn't last long.
    kristinas8

Answer by kristinas8 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Have a dr make sure the baby doesn't have tongue-tie, if the baby has that then they can't nurse very well. I had one like that and was bruised up the entire year they bf but i stuck it out and they finally outgrew it but it was important to watch for choking and speech development.
    MrsKuKuKaChoo

Answer by MrsKuKuKaChoo at 7:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2008

• Let her know mom...NO! Stop feeding and use your scarey voice. I nursed all three of mine and 9 months was the biting time as i remember correctly. A baby cannot suck and bite at the same time so keep your eye on her. Good luck!
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 8:01 PM on Jul. 9, 2008