Lazy Cakes..are they safe for teens?

Someone in our small town has opened a "coffee" shop. They cater to the young teen crowd and have indoor skating. They sell lazy cakes there which is a brownie with high levels of melatonin. The ingredients are all legal so we can't stop the sale of it. Anyone else know of this going on in their town? What I can see online says that they just make people really tired and should not be mixed with alcohol and shouldnt be served to kids.

Lots of parents are concerned and say thier teen can't carry on a conversation for hours after eating these brownies. online it says they contain 8mg of melatonin, normal dose is 1 mg to 5 mg.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Holy crap I take 3 mg to fall asleep at night. That is not safe.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• that doesn't sound very safe.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• They are marketed like pot brownies but with melatonin and other natural herbs in them. Parents are outraged here. These are sold at many gas stations across the nation...beware!
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• On the label they are not recommended for minors, only adults, and only 1/2 brownie at a time. Selling them to teens would probably be considered negligent and you could have an issue to bring up because of that.
    Also high amounts of the ingrediants are bad for you. I knew someone who ate one and slept for 10 hours. Now imagine eating two.

Answer by gemgem at 3:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Well, it's not any worse than all the energy drinks and pop kids drink. It's kind of a double standard. I don't really approve of either, but there is nothing wrong with melatonin. My doctor suggested my 13 yo try it because he couldn't sleep. He doesn't knock out though, just gets a little drowsy.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• gemgem they had 340 parents sign petitions to get him to stop selling it. The city contacted an attorney who said it is not illegal to sell them.
    ria7

Comment by ria7 (original poster) at 3:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Boycott & remove your kids until they stop selling them. It's ridiculous the ways they find to introduce inappropriate/dangerous uses of normally harmless substances to our kids. What's gonna happen when someone falls asleep driving home after consuming one of these?
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 3:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Melatonin is a natural body hormone & if you would take the melatonin often enough without being someone who typically has issues with falling asleep, the melatonin being consumed could begin to interfere with the body's ability to produce its own melatonin, thereby creating a sleep problem where there previously was none.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 3:28 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• good point mom2aspclboy! I like that. :)But they can argue that Mc. D's causes obesity to those who choose to use it, they should stop selling Benadryl because it can knock you out. Or, too much sugar causes diabetes, Tylenol can cause liver failure, and the list goes on and on. I think there is a very grey area, a fine line as to what is the consumers responsibility, and the sellers responsibility.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• melatonin is a hormone...

Answer by rkoloms at 3:31 PM on Mar. 23, 2011