Potty Training.....Up to our ankles in Poop!

Ok, not really. But I'm having trouble getting my almost 3 y/o DD to poop in the potty. She has done it on occasion, but most of the time hides in her room and poops her pants. She is about 90% successful with urination, but we just can't get her to admit she needs to poop. Any advice? All suggestions welcome.

Kimedbs

Asked by Kimedbs at 3:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• My cousin's son is doing the same and they know he loves to play with his dinosaurs. So every time he poops his pants or refuses to go on the potty he loses a dinosaur. He's lost three and is starting to get the picture. He also earns them back by going on his own or letting them know when he has to go.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 3:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• do you use a potty chair or a seat that you set on the toilet? I was using a potty chair for the longest time when my dd was almost 2. For a long time she wouldnt go poop. so I put it away and waited. She is now 2 1/2 and 100% potty trained except for overnights. I got her a seat to go on the potty, her own stool, and new undies. I let her do it on her own and she was potty trained that very day!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:27 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• @ SabrenaLeigh.... We've done all of that. Big girl panties, new potty seat (for big toilet) She can and does go completely on her own to pee. I've had her nearly potty trained twice. 1st June of last year, then I had twins.....almost total regression, 2nd October last year, then my father passed away in November and she regresed again. Now she's doing great, and I think we could say she'd be totally potty trained if we could just figure out the pooping situation.
    Kimedbs

Comment by Kimedbs (original poster) at 3:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• It sounds like a stress thing. Im not sure what to do about the poop my daughter just did it:(
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:37 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• She's almost there!! Watch her diligently and when she shows the signs that she is going to poop take her to the potty. Is she pretty consistent as to the time of day she poops? That would help you a lot. You might also come up with a huge reward. That is what finally pushed my niece's daughter over the "edge". GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• stop trying.. Our DD was the SAME way.. but she would go in her room then take the pull up off and hide it.. not a fun game if you ask me.. The day she turned 3 it was a miracle! She had gotten a stomach bug of some sort and from that day on she has had 2 accidents and literally they were accidents and made her very sad and upset and she cried, but the last 1/2 still went in the potty because she did her best to hold it! It WILL happen!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 1:46 AM on Mar. 25, 2011