Any ideas on how to teach a child to blow his nose?

We tried "breathe like a dragon", we tried telling him he'll get a tummy ache if he keeps sniffling and swallowing all that junk, we tried using the "bulb" on him but he is too old for that now. Any clever ideas?

Jeannie721

Asked by Jeannie721 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am still working on that with my 3-1/2 year old.. a friend of mine suggested taking straws and blowing bubbles in a water glass through their nose.. I don't know.. good luck..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:41 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I'm sure you've had him watch you do it, but that's the only thing I did when teaching mine :) gl
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:42 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• OMG -- We REALLY need this advice as well!
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I'm not really sure how we taught it, he just kind of started doing it--when he had a runny nose, I would hold a kleenex up to his nose and say "blow" and kind of imitate blowing myself and he started doing it. He's also been in swimming lessons with me since he was about 8 months old and we've worked on blowing bubbles with him most of that time so maybe that helped as well? Not sure, but good luck!!
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Try showing him when you blow yours! Practice makes perfect child usually learn from watching others! Some things just take longer then others!! Tell them to give you the monsters out their nose!!
    Mudda69

Answer by Mudda69 at 1:41 AM on Mar. 25, 2011