Tips from Beagle owners???

We just rescued a stray Beagle in our neighborhood. Turns out she was chipped through Houston Beagle Rescue and the owners have lost her several times and never follow up on her disappearances. The rescue center is full and my husband and kids fell in love with her, so we've added a new member to the family.

She seems to have been raped (sodomized actually) repeatedly and also has very dry skin and losing patches of hair. We have a vet appt on Friday, but I love this site so much, I figured I would ask some advice questions now. Any "must-knows" about this breed?

Thanks!

Jeannie

Jeannie721

Asked by Jeannie721 at 3:43 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Pets

• some, not all, bark alot....the stray i rescued dosn't bark alot but she digs alot but other than that she's great
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:47 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Oh my goodness yes! She's already dug 3 LARGE holes in the backyard...and she's an indoor dog! So that is just in the short amount of time she's been outside. No barking though...she does howl like crazy though when she gets excited. Too cute!
    Jeannie721

Comment by Jeannie721 (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Wow.

We had a beagle, and are in the process of trying to adopt another. They shed ALL year, but are the most loyal, lovable pet ever! The beagle we had only barked when he wanted to come back in, or a stranger was cutting through our yard, at the door, or any other animal cutting through our yard.

They have a howl too with the bark. They have different barks, and you will know what they mean. They are hounds, and will run off if they get a scent of something. Have a fenced yard, or a zip line. Not a dog to be left for hours. They will get into anything.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Sodomized? What makes you think she's been sodomized??

I have a beagle. I have studied up quite well on the breed. Beagles like to run. She's probably an escape artist and the owners got sick of it. They are high strung, like to snoop and run. They need excercise. They take awhile to train, they are intelligent but their interests are elsewhere.
    Also, never trust a loose beagle. NEVER. They clear 8 foot fences, and they run like greased lightening. I have had Daisy slip through my fingers while bringing her in the house, and she has run out in front of cars.
    She's beautiful, and she is a good friend. She's great with other dogs as well. But she barks a lot...
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:52 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Oh yeah, lol don't let them loose away from home, they may not come back!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• they are sniffers and if not given a chance to exercise their noses, some beagles may become compulsive sniffers and rub their noses raw against the ground following random scents. When we had a beagle we taught him to sniff out the hidden treat. We would put a milk bone somewhere in the yard and tell him to go find it. It seemed to keep his nose happy. For this particular dog, she may be very protective of her back end. If your kids are small, warn them not to sneak up on her or approach her from behind. Try to avoid touching her from behind if she seems to get nervous or freak out when you do. I would immediately take her to a trainer and explain the situation so they can help with your dog's specific circumstances.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 3:54 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Always keep her on a leash when walking her. They are hunting/tracking/scent dogs and once she gets a scent she wants she will follow it and ignore all calls for her to come back. Also with the digging she can dig out from under the fence and get lose that way.
    Um, the howling/barking which josiesmommy00 mentioned.
    Also, ask the vet about appropriate diets (not really expensive food but the amount of what to feed her), Beagles are known for packing on weight.
    When training her, I have noticed that Beagles really respond well to treats as rewords, these dogs are very food motivated :)
    Other then that they make great family pets!
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 3:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Thanks everyone!

To answer MusicMom80, you would know if you saw her backside. She is very torn up and loose there. So sad. She also has these terrible white bumpy looking sores and a rash to go with it. God I hope she is okay and all goes well with her vet visit on Friday.
    Jeannie721

Comment by Jeannie721 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• How do you know she was sodomized? Just curious. I have had beagles for about 9 years now and LOVE the breed. I 2nd everything from prev posters. They will dig out of fort knox - we had to dig a trench around our fence, line with chicken wire, fill with rocks and then fill back in with dirt. They will eat EVERYTHING in site - a beagle knows no full tummy, while staying at a friends while I was gone she ate a 5 lb bag of ferret food and crapped all over her white carpet and couch. If unhappy or stressed they will bay endlessly. They NEED a walk every day at a minimum so they get scent interaction and to keep them happy, letting them out in the backyard is not enough. Exercise her so she doesn't get fat and LOVE her. They do shed all year long so keep her bathed and constant brushing with soft brush helps a little. oh yeah - ALWAYS keep your pantry closed. My beagle can crack a safe to find food.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 4:08 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Everyone says they shed a lot, but I haven't noticed any shedding except for in the areas where she has the skin issues.
    Jeannie721

Comment by Jeannie721 (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2011