Are you aware of who rates motion pictures?Do you approve?

This will help .....Motion Pictures are rated by MPAA. Link:http://www.mpaa.org/

This is a spinoff from a question discussing Censorship vs Motion Pticture Ratings.

minnesotanice

Asked by minnesotanice at 3:51 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Entertainment

• I agree. We do need some things regulated, for our own safety...otherwise, why do we have a government to begin with? For instance, our food and prescription drugs are regulated. Our exports are regulated. It's for safety.
    As far as movies go, no matter what the rating is, I watch it before I let my kids watch it. That is a good habit to get into.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Industries often try to repel the need for government intervention, which is usually more invasive, by regulating themselves. In some cases to public suffers but i don't believe movie ratings to be one of those cases.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I just wanted to explain to some who misunderstood the ratings system. Someone said that this is Government Interference.
    This has nothing to do with the Government.
    Thank you for your time and attention.

I do not approve of Government interference in personal issue such as the right to an abortion or gay marriage.

But this Motion Picture rating sytem is something else...I am happy they rate moves so we will know if they are too mature for our children.

Thoughts?
    minnesotanice

Comment by minnesotanice (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• That site is really intersting. There is a panel of PARENTS who watch fims and rate them.
    Check out the site. I think some that get a PG rating are still too mature for kids. They don't need to see or hear a lot of what is in PG fims. So, it IS a good idea to see them first. I object to the language used,for example.
    minnesotanice

Comment by minnesotanice (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Makes no diff to me ~ my kids are grown and no grandkids on the way in the near future ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• well, the issue here was this: Government interference is not at all related to the MPAA Motion picture rating system. A poster says she doesn't want the Government to tell her which movies to watch.LOL. She missed the boat on that one.
    So, whether or not the Movie ratings matter to you or not is not the issue.
    minnesotanice

Comment by minnesotanice (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Mar. 23, 2011