Mirena IUD - love it or hate it? - TMI adult content

It was painful to get, my strings disappeared not long after it was inserted, now I'm at my 5 years and in what my doctor thinks might be estrogen withdrawal so it's time to get it out. I am NOT looking forward to this since it was so painful to get in and now they will have to go spelunking to find this damn thing.

Anyone else have a similar situation? They will probably have to use a dialator to get it out.

8Tinkerboo8

Asked by 8Tinkerboo8 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Health

• This is most of my experience with that POS. I absolutely hate that thing.

Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:32 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Hate it. It gave me countless awful side effects and I suffered for three years because of it. It didn't hurt going in or coming out, but sometimes, people's bodies don't handle it well. I switched to the Paragard IUD, no hormones and lasts 10 years, and I am back to being ME. I love it.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 4:11 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• mine came out so quick and easy i hardly noticed it!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 3:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• did you still have your strings though? I don't, they went up inside
    8Tinkerboo8

Comment by 8Tinkerboo8 (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• i had mine for about a year it came out realy easy but i had the string fast forward to a year later and b/c of mirena i still have not had a period since i got the stupid thing and my body is not making any estrogen. All i can say is good luck i hate that thing
    his88angel

Answer by his88angel at 4:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yeah i keep thinking I am peri-menopausal but I'm only 41 and then last visit my doc said it sounds like estrogen withdrawal from the mirena being at the end of it's life - I HOPE that is it because I hate feeling this way but don't like the other options out there. I have no insurance so am paying out of pocket for all this.
    8Tinkerboo8

Comment by 8Tinkerboo8 (original poster) at 4:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• THANK YOU for posting that - I didn't even think to search on the topic before I posted - I have a large majority of everything you listed and cannot wait to get this damn thing out - I NEVER would have gotten it had I known and I wonder now how much this is contributing to the worsening of my Fibro symptoms in the last few years. I get it out in May and cannot wait.
    8Tinkerboo8

Comment by 8Tinkerboo8 (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Do you mind my asking how much your Dr. charges to remove it? My Dr. says $500 to remove it.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 6:20 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• they told me $150 IF they can get it out in the office, if they need ultrasound guidance it goes up to like $250 - when I first called they quoted me like $700 which is why I haven't gotten it out sooner - I've been saving my money but I just got fed up cuz I feel so lousy and called again to see if I can make payments and the girl told me it's only $150 - I was like - WHAT? She said she doesn't know who I talked to but they were wrong - of course you KNOW I GOT HER NAME!
    8Tinkerboo8

Comment by 8Tinkerboo8 (original poster) at 6:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2011