Have you bought your luxury doomsday bunker yet?

Northwest Shelter Systems, which offers shelters ranging in price from $200,000 to $20 million, has seen sales surge 70% since the uprisings in the Middle East, with the Japanese earthquake only spurring further interest. In hard numbers, that's 12 shelters already booked when the company normally sells four shelters per year.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/03/22/real_estate/doomsday_bunkers/?hpt=P1&iref=NS1

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 4:00 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• LOL...look at the little computer cubicles! Wow. Like the internet is still going to be up and running while the world is dying. Rich people crack me up.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• oh yikes.. i'll just die with the rest of the poor folk who can't afford one.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I think it's sad. Do they really think they will survive a catastrophic event in those overgrown tombs? When the s**t hits the fan, they will be buried underground...and for a while they will be sheltered.... but if just one component goes wrong, they will suffer to death, just like everyone else. Their money will be worthless, and they won't have the skills necessary to survive, even if they DO get out of those "bunkers".
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Uh......no. If we were to experience a catastrophic event that threatened to wipe out mankind....I would so NOT want to be around to deal with the aftermath!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:09 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• That's like asking if you would want to be the last person alive. My answer is absolutely no. I'll store water and extra food for a hurricane, sure, but I'm not going to make sure I'm the last man standing!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:13 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Oh...and I forgot to point out the fact that since everyone who lives in the area of these bunkers will head straight for that spot if/when there is a devastating event..soooooo.... I sure hope those rich people bring their guns, because their money won't help them fight off thousands of desperate people.
    Anyone ever see that episode of the Twilight Zone where they thought there was going to be a nuclear strike? You never really know people until you see what they do in an emergency.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No thanks.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 4:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• No but if I had the money I would lol. Not because of end of the world fears, but Id use it as a party room or something.

Answer by gemgem at 4:02 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Is that for a plural wife family? lol...that's alot of tables and chairs!! LMAO

The sales also jumped in Jan 09....

People fearing a revolution.....can't imagine WHY....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Pfft. That's junk change.

But seriously, if I had $2 mil. to spare - I still wouldn't spend it on that. I may live "happily" in a bunker for a while, but at some point I'm going to have to come up. Then what?

No thanks.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 4:38 PM on Mar. 23, 2011