Would you be offended?

Had a dentist appointment today. All good, no cavities. About 2 visits ago (I guess that'd be about a year) I had a cavity. I hated getting that thing taken care of and I walked out feeling pretty crappy. Anyway, last time they mentioned it when my checkup was fine. Today they mentioned it and said, "No fillings today?" and I said, "Nope!"

Then the lady says, "You brush your teeth now so you don't have that problem right?" and laughs.

It just kind of ticked me off that she implied that I don't since I spend a good amount of time at night taking care of my teeth, and usually brush a couple times during the day as well. Sometimes things get missed and you get cavities, even if you brush.

Would you have been offended? I just thought that was pretty rude and unprofessional.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Mar. 23, 2011 in Health

• I would have said "Excuse me?!" and reported her to whoever I could, whether it was the dentist himself or whoever. That was really really low.
    Anonymous

• my answer would have been "apparently not" and which point i would have smiled my best f' you smile
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• no, I wouldn't have been offended. People get offended way too easily these days. Just take it with a grain of salt, smile, and walk away.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 4:04 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Yep. She made a wide assumption and shouldn't have said that. I wouldn't take it too personal however, it sounds like one of those times when something just comes blurring out. She probably thought OMG! after you left!
    Ladycwells

Answer by Ladycwells at 4:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• it was rude but I'd probally just let it go
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:05 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I have seen some very rude hygienist and rude dentist...I went for about two years with no dental insurance, so as anyone knows dentist aren't cheap. I brushed , I flossed, I use ACT on my teeth..but I still ended up with three cavities and when my insurance was reinstated. I went straight to the dentist to have any problems resolved..I was given the 3rd degree by both the hygienist and the dentist. I made The comment when I left that I would no longer be doing business with them. Its not like they were doing any dental work for free! Its hard enough just to go to the dentist and be comfortable...but to add being degraded on top really makes for a bad experience. I'm sorry you dealt with that.
    justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• I'm not I'd be offended, but that was pretty rude of her to say.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:21 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Well, if she laughed after she said it, it sounds like she was probably just trying to make a joke, in which case, no, I would not have been offended and would have instead just laughed too.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:23 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• honestly i think she was just making a joke, and may have struck a soft spot without the intention to.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 23, 2011

• Why do people always have to take everything so damn persoanl? God,she was probably just trying to make light of the sitution.
    cutebaby06

Answer by cutebaby06 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2011